Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Coriander in the Secondary (Crush or No Crush?)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2011, 06:37 PM   #1
XanderBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Coriander in the Secondary (Crush or No Crush?)

I want to add Coriander into my Summer Citrus wheat in the secondary, (was planning during the boil, but it was too late before I realized I had it still in the spice rack).

My question is do I have to crush them in the secondary or can they go in whole?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2011, 07:17 PM   #2
Lan
Recipes 

I made a spiced Belgian ale with ginger and coriander. I used half an ounce of coriander seed and crushed them in a ziploc bag before adding them to the boil at 10 minutes. The flavor was very mild by the time I bottled, almost undetectable. I would suggest crushing them before adding to the secondary to maximize the flavor.

Old 05-04-2011, 04:09 PM   #3
XanderBrew
Recipes 

I already have bitter and sweet orange peel that went into the boil at 5 minutes. It smells good but I think I am still going to add the crushed coriander for an extra kick. I will probably use a small hop bag or muslin bag to keep the seed shells from either floating around or clogging up my bottling tube.

Old 05-05-2011, 02:07 PM   #4
Lan
Recipes 

Sounds like a plan, go for it!

Old 05-05-2011, 02:11 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2767 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Just like in cooking, doing things like dry-roasting spices, rubbing dry green herbs and cracking/crushing seed based spices all help to release the essential oils from them. And give you more bang for the buck.

I use a mortar and pestle for the grains of paradise along with the coriander seeds for my wits. The smell was amazing.

A baggie and rolling pin is a really effective way to crush them.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-05-2011, 02:15 PM   #6
ThickHead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
I use a mortar and pestle for the grains of paradise along with the coriander seeds for my wits. The smell was amazing.

A baggie and rolling pin is a really effective way to crush them.
Coffee grinder is another way. Just throw them in and wazz 'em up.

Old 05-05-2011, 02:28 PM   #7
fiat84
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

FYI there are two types of coriander seed:
1) indian light green, football shaped, lemony taste - better choice and used in brewing Hoegaarden from the Thirsty Traveler TV series.
2) western brown, round, soapy taste

Make a tea from crushed indian coriander seeds then add the liquid only to control the flavor impact. Can add more tea to taste just before bottling and/or citrus extract. Once made an overly strong western coriander flavored beer by adding the crushed brown seeds directly. Had to call it coriander beer for the masses to drink.

Quick Reply