Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Coors clone question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2012, 01:23 PM   #1
soubre
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Coors clone question

Wanna brew a coors clone and my recipe calls for 6# American 2row and 3# flake maize. Do I have to lager this beer or can I use an ale yeast.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2012, 01:38 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

If you're trying to make a clone of coors, then you'd be making a lager. So yes you would have to lager it. And ferment it cold. If you use an ale yeast with that grainbill, then you'd be making what amounts to a cream ale. It's tasty but it wouldn't be a true clone of coors.

A lot of beginning kit beers are pseudo lagers, meaning the yeast that comes with it is a neutral ale yeast, since most beginning brewers aren't set up with the temp control necessary to ferment cool and then drop the temps further to lager near freezing for a length of time.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-07-2012, 01:48 PM   #3
Wayne1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I guess that depends on your definition of a clone recipe. If you want to try to exactly reproduce the flavors of Coors Banquet, you will need to use a lager strain of yeast. Wyeast used to offer 2015 which was the Coors strain. You may get close with White Labs WLP840. You should try to ferment at 50-55F. Allow the temp to rise slightly for a diacetyl rest and then age at 40F or below.

BTW, Coors does not use corn in their Banquet or Coors Light products. They use rice.

If you want to come close, you can use a clean ale strain like White Labs WLP080 and ferment closer to 65F.

Old 09-07-2012, 01:49 PM   #4
soubre
Recipes 

I understand. I'm completely set up to lager and brew anything. I've never done a coors clone . My parents are light beer drinkers and I wanna brew a batch they would like. Just thought I could get away with an ale yeast

Old 09-07-2012, 02:07 PM   #5
Revvy

Recipes 

Where did you get that recipe from?

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-07-2012, 05:09 PM   #6
soubre
Recipes 

I got it from a friend . I also have a recipe for a California common . I'm gonna try to use an ale yeast for that one too.

Old 09-07-2012, 07:42 PM   #7
LansingX
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I bet you will like the California Common with the ale yeast. I had a California Common yeast that didn't activate and I used an American Ale yeast in a pinch. Turned out quite nice.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:41 PM   #8
BigEd
Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne1 View Post
I guess that depends on your definition of a clone recipe. If you want to try to exactly reproduce the flavors of Coors Banquet, you will need to use a lager strain of yeast. Wyeast used to offer 2015 which was the Coors strain. You may get close with White Labs WLP840. You should try to ferment at 50-55F. Allow the temp to rise slightly for a diacetyl rest and then age at 40F or below.

BTW, Coors does not use corn in their Banquet or Coors Light products. They use rice.

If you want to come close, you can use a clean ale strain like White Labs WLP080 and ferment closer to 65F.
I believe that Coors uses corn starch as their primary adjunct.

Old 09-08-2012, 12:05 AM   #9
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEd View Post
I believe that Coors uses corn starch as their primary adjunct.
A clone recipe on another forum mentioned the same thing.

Old 09-08-2012, 12:25 AM   #10
Wayne1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Corn starch is used for Keystone, not Coors Banquet or Coors Light.

It might also be used for Coors Golden.

I DID work for Coors R&D for a few years. I did wander around the brewhouse floor for a bit. I can say I used more hops in 10 bbls of an IPA I made at SandLot than the big brewery used in 250 bbls of Keystone Light

Original "Blue Moon" recipe

New Toys for Brewing
Revvy Likes This 

Quick Reply