Coopers IBrewmaster Irish Stout Recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

argyle

Reaction score
I recently picked a can of Coopers Brewmaster Irish Stout Extract up at my LHS. I got it for a good price:ban:.... I think ($15.00). Does this make a good dry irish stout? Can you rate it in taste from Guinness (Draught Style) to Murphy's to Beamish. Which of these does it taste like. I wouldn't mind if it tasted like any of them!!!

:eek: RECIPE REQUEST X's 2 :eek:
If it doesn't taste like any of those, how can I use this product and get a stout similar to any of those three.

Oh, and I'd also like to brew a Irish red ale .... toffee and caramel like Caffreys Irish Ale

Thanks

Yeah, well I saw a case sitting there. The owner said he special ordered it for a lady, he said she never came and got it. He said I could have a can for $15.00, I said ok. If its good I wished he offered more.

I've used a couple of their other cans, and they've turned out well (although not really perfectly in style).

I've heard that the stout is good, but more of just a dark ale... not as flavorful or "thick".

If you use ONLY corn sugar, you will get a very dry, lightly flavored stout. I would use at least a bit of DME. I've used a mixture of DME and corn sugar before, as well as the package AHS sells (maltodextrin, DME, corn sugar) and they turned out well.

The recipe says I should use this is the Copper Brewmaster Irish Stout not the Cooper Stout

1 can Coopers Irish Stout wort concentrate (already hopped)
water
yeast
500 g. of light DME
300 g. Dextrose/sugar (is maltodextrin the same thing?)

Should I add anything else to get a stout like any of the three I mentioned above.

Is maltodextrin corn sugar?

I want stout not brown ale

"copper brewmaster irish stout" is just a misspelling of "cooper brewmaster irish stout" the same thing I was referring to.

That's the "standard" on the can, and from what I've heard (and my experience with their other kits) it will produce a good stout if made well. Definitely use a different yeast though, theirs sucks. Dextrose is NOT maltodextrine, dextrose is just there to boost the ABV without effecting flavor.

Thanks for the reply!:)

oops... yeah I did spell that wrong huh?

I guess I was just trying to clarify the difference between two cooper products one being the Irish stout and the other being just stout.

Thanks for answering my questions

The recipe says I should use this is the Copper Brewmaster Irish Stout not the Cooper Stout

1 can Coopers Irish Stout wort concentrate (already hopped)
water
yeast
500 g. of light DME
300 g. Dextrose/sugar (is maltodextrin the same thing?)

Should I add anything else to get a stout like any of the three I mentioned above.

Is maltodextrin corn sugar?

I want stout not brown ale

don't use either one, if you want a FULL bodied THICK beer, use 2# of DME or LME instead of sugar. if you want it somewhere in between use 1/2 corn sugar/maltodextrin/brown sugar/ etc etc and 1/2 DME

My LHBS actually recomends using 2 cans of the coopers kit for a 5 gallon batch. Kind of expensive if you ask me.

So.....

If thickness is what I prefer then just add the DME in place of the Dextrose?

I do like a thick stout.

I can't wait to make this!!

So.....

I do like a thick stout.

Yeah, that would probably work just fine. You'll end up a bit less hoppy than intended but I doubt you'll notice much. It'll be maltier than the cooper's recipe, which should put you closer to a real stout.

EDIT: Make sure you use a different yeast! US-04 or Nottingham, coopers sucks and it probably won't dry it out enough for you.

Yeah, that would probably work just fine. You'll end up a bit less hoppy than intended but I doubt you'll notice much. It'll be maltier than the cooper's recipe, which should put you closer to a real stout.

EDIT: Make sure you use a different yeast! US-04 or Nottingham, coopers sucks and it probably won't dry it out enough for you.

whats the point of the kit if you use a different yeast ?:p I've always used thier yeast, and have not had any complaints. Now when I start washing and reusing my yeast(saves a ton of money once you start using more expensive yeasts) then I will probably upgrade to a different strain....but by then I won't be using coopers kits anymore iether..... so yeah just use the coopers yeast for now :)

I just finnished a coopers irish stout kit, ,i used 6 gal of water,plus 1lb mutons dme,500 gr. of dex,after 3 weeks racked to bottle bucket added 1 cup dex w/ water 1 cup ,brought to 165 deg. for 5 min cooled put 1/2 in ,filled 1/2 then added other 1/2,2 weeks in bottle1 and 1/2 week in fridge ,came out real good

So.....

I do like a thick stout.

I'm curious to hear as well, I'm looking for some alternatives to following the Coopers ingrediants to the tee.

Jason

Funny... I just picked up a can of this extract, but I also picked up 500g of chocolate malt grains.

My question is... how much DME should I add to this?

And I plan on using the Cooper's yeast, just so that there is a bit more sweetness to add to the chocolate.

any more comments on this coopers stout??? i just ordered a can (along w/ real ale and sparkling ale); also just ordered 18 lb of dme.

i'd like something thick and not too bitter; i was thinking of adding 3# dme. any other suggestions? would it need more hop additions?

any more comments on this coopers stout??? i just ordered a can (along w/ real ale and sparkling ale); also just ordered 18 lb of dme.

i'd like something thick and not too bitter; i was thinking of adding 3# dme. any other suggestions? would it need more hop additions?

how did it go? i was going to do brew the coopers stout tomorrow, using 1kg (2.2lbs) of dark DME and then an extra 200-300g of cane sugar. is it ok to use the regular yeast that comes with the kit? should i reduce the water quantities? i'm new to homebrewing (2 batches so far) and this will be my first stout. i'm shooting for an abv of ~5.5-6%. so much to learn have i.

thanks

i made it once with muntons dried dark malt and used three pounds and it still needed more malt to be thick. It makes a good beer but its more of a ale than a stout. Also if you want a import taste like guinness or bass or other beers use some burton water salts it helps.

I'd have to play it safe and go with 500g DME and the 300g sugar. I know sugar is generally frowned upon but it's not the standard kilo that most kits suggest. The other thing is, if you add too much malt extract I don't know that the kit will really support it. I can see the roast and bitterness in the kit being easily covered up.

If you really want it a little more chewy, keep the 500g of DME, leave the sugar out but go with a 4-4.5 gallon batch instead of the 5.

kol i make a 6g batch and i used a pound of raw cane sugar and three pounds of dme and it turn out great i just used to much burton water salts to it used three table spoons instead of two.

I just got done brewing the regular coopers stout. I used 3# of DME. we'll see how she turns out :)

I have some fermenting right now, I used 3# extra dark DME and 1# corn sugar and other than that followed the basic instructions, I've tested it after 1 week (and it was still bubbling pretty good) and it tasted pretty damn flavorful, I am really crossing my fingers that this will be a very good (for a kit) brew.

Maybe a silly question but what do the #'s represent. Is that a can, a kilo?

I have some fermenting right now, I used 3# extra dark DME and 1# corn sugar and other than that followed the basic instructions, I've tested it after 1 week (and it was still bubbling pretty good) and it tasted pretty damn flavorful, I am really crossing my fingers that this will be a very good (for a kit) brew.

Maybe a silly question but what do the #'s represent. Is that a can, a kilo?

It's technically the "Hash Mark" on a phone however best known as a "Pound Sign", so when you see 3# they mean 3 pounds or 3lbs. of DME etc...

i made roughly 5.5 gallons of the Irish stout a week ago, but only added 2.2#s of DME and skipped the corn sugar altogether. I keep seeing people say they added 3# of DME AND corn sugar. Am i way short? Is it too late to add? If not, what?

You should be fine, it will have a little less alcohol and perhaps a bit less "body" than with more DME but I'll bet ya it will be a quite drinkable brew and you'll be happy with it.

Whew! Although its a shame about the lack of body, considering that was the whole reason i skipped the Dextrose in the first place! But a drinkable beer is better than water any day! Thanks.

I purchased the TC Brewmasters Irish Stout Beer Package. This package contains an Irish Stout beer kit, 500 gm Light Dry Malt Extract, Dextrose and Carbonation drops. Coopers sells the kits on there website.

http://www.makebeer.net/item.asp?idProduct=44&idCategory=112&idSubCategory=0

I've been reading this thread and concerned about the body of my beer.

Here is my recipe:

Irish Stout beer kit
500 g Light Dry Malt Extract
1 Kg Dextrose
2 teaspoons of brown sugar
Safale US-05

Brew to 18 litres or 4.755096918 gallons

Any advice? I want to make the strongest beer possible. :)

BEER1.JPG

BEER2.JPG

I've been reading this thread and concerned about the body of my beer.

Here is my recipe:

Irish Stout beer kit
500 g Light Dry Malt Extract
1 Kg Dextrose
2 teaspoons of brown sugar
Safale US-05

Brew to 18 litres or 4.755096918 gallons

Any advice? I want to make the strongest beer possible. :)

You're looking at 6%+ ABV. The body should be fine, just a little drier then normal. Generally I find that Coopers extract to finish a little high. But that's fine because it's always been consistent and I can easily alter the fermentability with sugar.

I'm excited for this next batch. This will be my third go at it and loving the results so far. Looking to purchase a mashtun, carboy, autosiphon etc now!
:mug:

you should be fine on your batch if you want to be stronger in alcohol content use like 3 to 5 pounds of dry malt extract or a pound or two of raw cane sugar i only use dry malt or raw cane sugar gives a better finish on the beer thats my opinion if you use sugar for a fermentable sugar its best to use raw cane or candi sugar it doesnt give a cider taste like table sugar does. Usually the sugar kit that comes with coopers is a mix of table and corn sugar. dextrose is corn and sucrose is table sugar

coopers kits are always good to use always consistent but i always like to make it mine by adding other ingredients such as dry malt and raw sugar and black trecel these are things you dont have to do but i like to experiment on making beer and it always turns out good but more like a porter than a actual stout which is what im still wking on.

it should turn out to a 6.0 abv percent beer very enjoyable hope everything turns out good for you.

I filmed most of the process. Feel free to take a peak! No negative comments! ;) I brewed straight from the spring at my lake house. It's short and direct!

Check out this video on YouTube:

Last edited by a moderator:
I was going to bottle it after fermentation. Luckily, I still have yet to bottle and plan on just keeping the beer in the FV for an additional two weeks. I have yet to purchase a car boy for secondary fermentation.

Chewy107 said:
I was going to bottle it after fermentation. Luckily, I still have yet to bottle and plan on just keeping the beer in the FV for an additional two weeks. I have yet to purchase a car boy for secondary fermentation.

Okay. Now youre talking. Ive had some recipes that said primary for a week then bottle but in my experience that isnt quite enough. I mean, its drinkable. But an extra week or two makes a difference. Like aging cheese:). And you dont need a carboy for secondary, just a bucket and lid. Sometimes i primary in my bottling bucket one week, secondary in my FV bucket, then go back to the bottler to...well bottle. Also autosiphon is the ****. Good stouts take a little more time imho. You are on the right track. Keep us posted

I actually bottled it today. Left the beer in the FV for 21 days!! What would the ideal temp to store these bottles be? I currently have the room at 74 degrees.

Pitched at 68F degrees
SG: 1.060
FG: 1.016

Back