To cool the wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do partial boils - 2.5gallons - takes about 15 minutes and then dilute with water/

Ice water in sink. Wort chiller when the red fat man brings holy gifts in the cold days of darkness.

I still use my sink for five gallons because I just cant spring for a immersion cooler yet. I could cool 3 gallons to pitching temp in about 15 minutes but five gallons takes nearly an hour. Fortunately it is a deep sink and most of the pot gets submerged in ice watter. When the ice watter is warm I just change out with tap watter a couple of times. If I bought ice I bet I could do it in 30 minutes or less. It's good to stir the watter around the pot and the wort in the pot every few minutes to help distribute the heat better.

I do partial boils. Before I begin brewing, I put about 3 gallons of the topoff water in the fridge, and some more in the freezer. I do about 4 sink fulls of tap water, then 1 or 2 of ice water bath, then topoff with the cold water, using the water in the freezer only in necessary.

I use an Immersion chiller and cool off my three gallon boils in less than fifteen minutes. Just about time to make sure everything is out of the way and fermenter and siphon equipment get a starsan treatment. Immersion chiller is very easy to make with 25' 3/8" copper tubing and a couple bucks of tubing, clamps, or whatever your set up calls for.

35' copper coil, 1 garden hose, 2 hose clamps. Coil the copper around your bottling bucket to form the coil, cut the hose and clamp 1/2 on each end of coil. This will cool 10 gallons in about 15 minutes and at a reasonable cost.
Brwbier

Back