Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Convert my Blonde Ale into a Blueberry Ale?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2009, 05:32 AM   #1
ThreeTaps
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default Convert my Blonde Ale into a Blueberry Ale?

Hey all,

I currently have a Blonde Ale that's been in the primary for 11 days. If I were to throw it in a secondary with a can of Oregon Blueberry Fruit Puree and 1oz of pectic enzyme for 2 weeks, then bottle it with 2oz of Blueberry Extract, would this viably turn it into a Blueberry Ale (that would still taste really good)?

I would really love to try this if it sounds like a good idea to you veterans.

Bottle Conditioning / Drinking: Pumpkin Spice Ale, Cherry Wheat Ale, Bee Cave IPA, EdWort's Apfelwein.
R.I.P.: Bee Cave Haus Pale Ale, Oatmeal Stout, Pecan Scottish Ale, Nut Brown Ale, Blonde Ale.

RDWHAHB
Brewing Since August 17, 2009
Have a BlackBerry? Download the HBT launcher here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyjacobs
You definitely win my award for "Most Enthusiastic New Brewer".

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2009, 05:35 AM   #2
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 433 Times on 353 Posts
Likes Given: 63

That sounds like a lot of blueberry. I would add in increments until you hit the flavor profile you're looking for. It's easy to add more blueberry flavor, but very difficult to remove it once it's there.

Old 08-29-2009, 05:38 AM   #3
ThreeTaps
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdboy View Post
That sounds like a lot of blueberry. I would add in increments until you hit the flavor profile you're looking for. It's easy to add more blueberry flavor, but very difficult to remove it once it's there.
Thanks for the insight, that's exactly the information I'm looking for. What, to you, sounds like an appropriate amount of Blueberry puree and extract to mask most of the hops taste but not be overpowering? I love the smell of cherry wheat right before taking a swig...I want the same with the blueberry batch.

I also presume that my FG will increase about a percent or higher, accounting for the puree.
Bottle Conditioning / Drinking: Pumpkin Spice Ale, Cherry Wheat Ale, Bee Cave IPA, EdWort's Apfelwein.
R.I.P.: Bee Cave Haus Pale Ale, Oatmeal Stout, Pecan Scottish Ale, Nut Brown Ale, Blonde Ale.

RDWHAHB
Brewing Since August 17, 2009
Have a BlackBerry? Download the HBT launcher here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyjacobs
You definitely win my award for "Most Enthusiastic New Brewer".

Old 08-29-2009, 05:52 AM   #4
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 433 Times on 353 Posts
Likes Given: 63

To be honest I haven't used the Oregon purees before, or even extracts for that matter. I've always used fresh/frozen fruit in my fruit beers.

I have discussed this exact thing with some brewers more experienced with fruit beers than myself, though, and they recommended to me to just follow the instructions on the can. However, I feel that some brewers add so much fruit flavor, even in commercial brews, that it completely dominates the beer. So, I tend to stay on the conservative side, figuring I can always add more if needed.

Your FG will definitely increase, but not that much. I think if you poke around on gotmead.com they have some information about the various amounts of fermentables in fruits, however I've only ever used them as a resource for fresh fruit. Whether they have information about the fermentables in those Oregon purees is another story.

Quick Reply