Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Confusion about hops

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2007, 12:50 PM   #11
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4481 Times on 3260 Posts
Likes Given: 870

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torben Ulrich
I make love to my hops, then I take them to The Outback for dinner. But then I don't call them again for at least a month.
Typical man.

I pamper my hops and speak sweetly to them. I hold them up to my face and sniff them gently. I tell them I love them. Then I through them into boiling wort.

Lorena

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2007, 01:17 PM   #12
cweston

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenae
Typical man.

I pamper my hops and speak sweetly to them. I hold them up to my face and sniff them gently. I tell them I love them. Then I through them into boiling wort.

Lorena
LOL.

Perfect.

Primary: none
Secondary:
Bottle conditioning: Robust Porter
Drinking: Saison Dupont clone, tripel
Coming soon: Columbus APA, Rich Red ale

Old 01-10-2007, 01:19 PM   #13
Chairman Cheyco
***DRAMATIZATION***
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torben Ulrich
I make love to my hops, then I take them to The Outback for dinner. But then I don't call them again for at least a month.

I always take them to The Outback first, a couple giant gin and tonics helps to set the mood...

Once the wind has been broken, it cannot be fixed.

Old 01-10-2007, 01:23 PM   #14
seyahmit
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

To muddy the waters a little, another hopping technique is to add your bittering hops later in the boil, but add more. I recently did a Pale Ale (see signature) with my hop additions starting at the 30 minute mark. This is where software like ProMash or Beer Smith comes in handy to get your IBUs right. I did this to get more hop flavor and aroma out of the beer. I think this techniques works better with a higher alpha acid hop so you don't have to add 2-3 ounces to get your IBUs at the right level.

Old 01-10-2007, 01:41 PM   #15
Chairman Cheyco
***DRAMATIZATION***
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by seyahmit
To muddy the waters a little, another hopping technique is to add your bittering hops later in the boil, but add more. I recently did a Pale Ale (see signature) with my hop additions starting at the 30 minute mark. This is where software like ProMash or Beer Smith comes in handy to get your IBUs right. I did this to get more hop flavor and aroma out of the beer. I think this techniques works better with a higher alpha acid hop so you don't have to add 2-3 ounces to get your IBUs at the right level.

I tried this method on a recent brew and it worked out really well. I brewed two beers with the same grain bills and same hop types. The only difference was that in the first I used a traditional hop schedule and the second I used the "huge whack of hops at 20minutes left" hop schedule. Both recipes were formulated using promash to within a few IBUs of each other. The late hop addition beer was waaaay more bitter than the first. Hop calculations are tricky things, and with all due respect, seyahmit, software can't be trusted for late hop additions.

The final stage of the experiment will be a brew consisting of the same amount of IBUs in the same beer, only using first-wort hopping. There will be a full report if I ever get off this rig and brew the damn thing.

Once the wind has been broken, it cannot be fixed.

Old 01-10-2007, 01:45 PM   #16
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenae
Typical man.

Lorena

Typical Woman

Haha, you know just thinking about tasting some more hops is getting me all hot and bothered.

Old 01-10-2007, 01:57 PM   #17
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by seyahmit

I have been reading about this technique over on the "green board" lately...it sounds pretty interesting and I might take a stab a the hopburst JPA
http://www.brewboard.com/index.php?showtopic=26859

Old 01-10-2007, 02:20 PM   #18
seyahmit
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Cheyco
I tried this method on a recent brew and it worked out really well. I brewed two beers with the same grain bills and same hop types. The only difference was that in the first I used a traditional hop schedule and the second I used the "huge whack of hops at 20minutes left" hop schedule. Both recipes were formulated using promash to within a few IBUs of each other. The late hop addition beer was waaaay more bitter than the first. Hop calculations are tricky things, and with all due respect, seyahmit, software can't be trusted for late hop additions.

The final stage of the experiment will be a brew consisting of the same amount of IBUs in the same beer, only using first-wort hopping. There will be a full report if I ever get off this rig and brew the damn thing.
Thanks for sharing your experience. I will give a report when I can get around to bottling my APA. I should have thought ahead and did a side by side test like you did.

Quick Reply