Confused on "wheat" recipe ( BEGINNER )

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seangandolfo

Reaction score
Im about to brew this "wheat" beer but looking back at the recipe i noticed I completely screwed up the grain bill AND the hop portions :drunk:. Problem is the grains are already milled and mixed together in the plastic bag in the freezer....Heres what I got on hand.. can anyone help me turn this into something good? Thanks!

Dont judge me lol:

4lbs Wheat DME
2lb 6oz White Wheat
2lb 6oz 2-Row Malt
1lb 12oz Crystal 20L
1oz Hallertau (60 minute)
1/2 oz Hallertau (15 minutes)
Safbrew WB-06 also have Safale US-05

I don"t see a problem (except perhaps too much crystal malt)...what do you think is wrong?

Seems like it has too much fermentables, that the beer would be "sticky" for a 5 gallon batch. And maybe the hops additions is too much?

Looks ok to me other than the crystal, as was pointed out above. That's unnecessary IMO. Good wheats are typically just 2-row & wheat. You can do 50/50 or higher up to say 80/20 wheat to 2-row depending on whether you like a more wheaty character or a more mild, American style wheat.

The hop additions look fine...

BTW, if you're questioning amounts, gravities, hop additions, etc., why not just use a brewing software like BeerSmith? That will tell you whether your IBU's, gravity, etc is out of whack to the style guidelines.

Thanks guys. Yeah I just ran it through the Beer Smith 2. I think Im going to lower the DME to 2lbs to bring the ABV down. Just checked my freezer looks like all I have is Saaz for this, so Im gonna try that instead at 1 oz ( 60minutes) to lower the IBU's to 15.4....estimated OG: 1.049 FG: 1.011 ABV: 4.9%

Thanks guys. Yeah I just ran it through the Beer Smith 2. I think Im going to lower the DME to 2lbs to bring the ABV down. Just checked my freezer looks like all I have is Saaz for this, so Im gonna try that instead at 1 oz ( 60minutes) to lower the IBU's to 15.4....estimated OG: 1.049 FG: 1.011 ABV: 4.9%

Cutting back the amount of DME would be good idea if you're only looking for a 5ish% beer. However, I would be surprised if you hit an FG of 1.011 with all that crystal malt. I'm also worried that you're going to end with something much too "caramelly". Nothing you can really do now since the grain is already milled together, so you have to decide whether it is worth waiting to brew until you can pick up new grain or if you want to push ahead with what you have. If you push ahead, just don't be surprised by a higher-than-expected FG.

Your originally hopping looked fine to me, but subbing Saaz would also work nicely.

Yeah thats what im afraid of as well a too "caramelly" beer. Since its too late no need to waste the grains so Ill go ahead and see what happens. I can live with a higher FG i guess, better than nothing!

Agreed - it'll may be more of an amber wheat, but still definitely quaffable - especially if you cut back on the DME. Saaz will work fine for this....

jmd1971 said:
Agreed - it'll may be more of an amber wheat, but still definitely quaffable - especially if you cut back on the DME. Saaz will work fine for this....

Cool, amber wheat sounds pretty damn good since I'm in Houston. Trying to ease into a heavier style beer, this could be a good buffer before I start the ales for the season.

It'll be absolutely fine - just a bit darker with a bit sweeter body. Mid way to dunkelweissen... :)

Back