Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Concord grape beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2012, 07:35 AM   #1
exels
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Concord grape beer

Anyone ever try using grapes in beer? I didn't see anything posted her about it.
I have a 1 gallon batch of pale ale I did and just so happen to have some Concord grapes available (not enough to do a wind though). Thought I might try racking it on to them after the initial fermentation is done.
Was thinking of only doing a half pound or les as they have a lot of flavor.
Thoughts? Suggestions?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2012, 09:24 PM   #2
berebrando
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have about 12 pounds of pink grapes (for lack of a better name) that I got from the farmers market for about $1 a pound (I probably ate about a pound of them so far). I cleaned them and stuck them in the freezer last night. I'm planning on defrosting, smashing them up, and racking a 5 gallon batch of Brettanomyces-fermented Pale Ale on top of them. This beer is low on the bitterness, so hopefully the beer will be able to handle the tanins from the grape skins. (I dont have experience with this, so hopefully everything I've done/planned/said so far makes sense.)

No suggestions from me, yet, because I haven't been able to try this out. My thoughts are that this is a good idea - a worthy experiment. Let me know how your experiment goes!

Old 10-10-2012, 09:36 PM   #3
berebrando
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

A quick follow up on this... these are the only two beers I can think of that include grapes (in the form of must):

The Bruery's Vitis Series, http://www.thebruery.com/beers/specialcollection.html
The Bruery does not provide a ton of information on the grapes, but it looks like they add them to a year-old sour blonde ale and let it ferment out in stainless steel. It is then transferred to oak and aged for 10 months.

Stone's 10.10.10 Vertical Epic Ale, http://www.stonebrew.com/epic/w101010recipe.htm
Stone added the must when the beer fermented down to 10 Plato, so as to limit the yeast's exposure to simple sugars. The must made up 10% of their volume.

Old 10-18-2012, 05:27 AM   #4
AndrewD
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 14

There's a small east coast brewery that I read about recently that does an American wheat on concords, but I don't remember the name. I found it when trying to figure out what to do with the abundance of concords that we have at our house. We just spent about 5 hours cleaning and bagging 45 pounds, which is probably about 25% of the total crop. We will probably be making a concord pyment along with the concord wheat ale.

Old 10-18-2012, 05:44 AM   #5
NoHawk
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I know Dogfish Head does a beer/wine hybrid called Noble Rot, but that's with good white wine grapes. As far as I know, concords aren't very good for wine, but who knows, they might blend well with beer.

Noble Rot: http://www.dogfish.com/brews-spirits.../noble-rot.htm

Old 10-18-2012, 08:57 PM   #6
gmr
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Concord Brewing from Concord, MA (also made the Rapscallion series of beers) had a grape ale back in the day that I really liked (I guess it was a no-brainer with the brewery name and all...). Sadly, IIRC the brewery is no longer around.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/59/1508

BA listed the brewery as in Lowell, so perhaps they were contract brewing their beers towards the end.

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS