Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Complete List of Hop Varieties / Hop Cheat Sheet

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2011, 09:16 PM   #1
othellomcbane
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Complete List of Hop Varieties / Hop Cheat Sheet

So, whenever I'm researching a new recipe or looking for some interesting new hops to use, I can't help but notice that no one website seems to have a list of every single hop available today.

There are some great resources out there, but none I could scan in a hurry and be sure to find every hop. The Homebrewtalk Wiki obviously has a great page full of hop descriptions for a huge number of varieties, but it's still missing a few, and it's also not the easiest format to print out or click through if you're in a hurry. Same with Brew Dudes and Rebel Brewer, which are also great sites. Other sites have a nice format, but are years out of date. Etc.

I decided to make such a list. It took me a few weeks of cross-referencing a number of sources, but here it is. I plan to keep this updated any time new hops come onto the scene. There are a few things I didn't include, to keep it streamlined: I didn't include any information on the history or breeding programs that produced the hop. I didn't include "recommended styles" because I've always felt that such recommendations were arbitrarily narrow and often redundant given the other info. I also did not include any varieties that are no longer commercially available.

I'm sure I'm still missing one or two varieties, so if anyone notices any currently-available hops that aren't on there, let me know. Or any other recommendations for the list. I hope this is of use to people.

And here it is: Bear Flavored: BEAR FLAVORED'S ULTIMATE GUIDE TO HOP VARIETIES / HOP CHEAT SHEET

People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2011, 09:33 PM   #2
dmckean44
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Nice, now someone just needs to make little charts for them all like brew365 did.

Also, you seem to have missed Tettnanger on your list.

Old 12-15-2011, 10:04 PM   #3
Stankonia
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Cool man.

You have Centennial as one of the substitutes for Centennial..I'm guessing you meant Cascade.

Old 12-15-2011, 10:06 PM   #4
Stankonia
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Cool man.

You have Centennial as one of the substitutes for Centennial..I'm guessing you meant Cascade.

Old 12-16-2011, 11:51 AM   #5
Glossolalia
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You're not even close to listing every hop commercially available. However, you have hit most of those that are currently available in the US. Serebriankas and Sonnet Goldings, which are currently available in the US, are missing. It also might be useful if you listed whether they are conventionally bittering, aroma, or dual-use hops.

Last edited by Glossolalia; 12-16-2011 at 11:53 AM.

Old 12-16-2011, 02:26 PM   #6
othellomcbane
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glossolalia View Post
You're not even close to listing every hop commercially available. However, you have hit most of those that are currently available in the US. Serebriankas and Sonnet Goldings, which are currently available in the US, are missing. It also might be useful if you listed whether they are conventionally bittering, aroma, or dual-use hops.
I forgot to mention, I intentionally left out the usual "bittering / aroma / dual-use" distinction. I got about halfway through the list with that information there and decided it's a little redundant. The alpha acid content is usually enough to tell you how to use it for bittering, and the "characteristics" let you know what it would be like if used as a late-addition hop, so classifying it further seemed redundant to me. I know other sites do, but it just seemed sort of arbitrary and limiting to me. There are very few hops I wouldn't consider using as aroma hops in certain situations.

Yeah, I know there are some I surely missed, and like I said, I plan to keep this updated as much as possible. I'm not seeing "Serebriankas" for sale anywhere, or much info about it, but I'll do some more Googling on those two. Thanks.

Old 12-16-2011, 02:44 PM   #7
othellomcbane
Recipes 

I found Serebrianka and Sonnet Goldings on Hops Direct and added those to the list. Serebrianka is the first Russian hops I've seen, which is pretty cool.

Brettanomyces & Wild Yeast T-Shirts
How Many Hop Varieties Are in the Best IPAs? - A Statistical Analysis
Bear Flavored's Ultimate Guide to Hop Varieties
Culturing Conan, the Heady Topper Yeast

Old 12-16-2011, 04:25 PM   #8
Redbeard5289
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts

nice job...

-Redbeard5289

Old 12-16-2011, 04:34 PM   #9
IffyG
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I'm curious as to how you came up with the substitutions. My experience with some of the hops listed disagrees with the subs for several hops.

Old 12-16-2011, 05:38 PM   #10
SevenFields
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If you go on BYO website you can order the special Hop Lovers Issue and they have a great handy tear out chart that is very useful.

Brew Your Own: The How-To Homebrew Beer Magazine - Hop Lover's Guide

Tap 1: Galaxy IPA
Tap 2: Bourbon Honey Brown Ale
Primary 1: Centential Blonde
Primary 2: Belgian IPA
Secondary:
Bottled: American Barleywine
On Deck: Torpedo IPA

Quick Reply