*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Columbus subing for Chinook

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2010, 10:20 PM   #1
stevedasleeve
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Columbus subing for Chinook

I brewed today but forgot I had finished my Chinook so I substituted Columbus which I have not used before. It had a less than pleasing aroma when I tossed it into the boil. What are your thoughts on this hop?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2010, 11:28 PM   #2
0110x011
Recipes 

IMO, there really isn't a substitute for Chinook. It's one of those hops that has its own distinctive vibe. That said, Columbus is one of my favorite hops in general. It forms the backbone of my Pale Ale recipe, and I bitter almost everything with it.

Check out my blog: Small Batch Brewing, and/or follow me on twitter @SmallBatchBrew

And watch my show! www.NewBrewThursday.com

Primary:
Secondary: Sour Red, Saison Tarté Noire, Flemish Red A/B, Flemish Oud Pale, Sour Experiment A/B/C/D
Kegged: Summer Spiced Saison, Rakau Pale Ale, Saison d' Tablé, International IPA, Belgian Witbier
Bottled: OaksterDAMN Barleywine, Saison Noire, Royale with Cheese, Awkward Encounter Wild Ale

Old 11-29-2010, 11:29 PM   #3
Malticulous
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I find it like Cascade but more pungent and rough. It's a good aroma hop and a bittering hop with a solid bite. Simcoe is more like Chinook.

Old 12-01-2010, 02:16 AM   #4
jeburgdo
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conroe View Post
I find it like Cascade but more pungent and rough. It's a good aroma hop and a bittering hop with a solid bite. Simcoe is more like Chinook.
Do you think so? Perhaps more like it, but I find that I love Chinook, and am not too fond of Simocoe. It can be ok (in 60 and 90 min) but I wouldn't have thought that they are really all that similar... Maybe I don't know what I'm tasting... but I thought Chinook, Columbus, and Simcoe were all pretty distinct.

Old 12-12-2010, 05:30 PM   #5
BlackBearForge
Recipes 

When I was buying the ingredients for my third batch of beer, an IPA from my own recipe, the HBS didn't have Chinook plugs which I wanted to use for my bittering hop. They suggested Columbus as a substitute so I went with it simply because I really really like using hop plugs. This recipe was bottled three weeks ago and is carbonating up nicely and the flavor is excellent (Columbus for bittering with Cascade for the flavoring).

I do want to try this same recipe with the Chinook as well to see the difference but I'm quite please with the Columbus so far.

Quick Reply