Columbus Day Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcp27

Reaction score
For Columbus Day I'm thinking of doing something close to what Columbus & Co would have had aboard the ships. Basically, I want to do something close to a historical IPA and dry hop it for about 5 weeks to simulate the travel to America. In honor of Columbus day though, I want to use only Columbus hops instead of traditional English hops. This is what I'm thinking so far:

5gal batch
OG: 1.07ish
IBU: 60ish
SRM: 14ish

8.75# Marris Otter malt
1.25# Wheat malt
1.25# Oat malt
1.25# Molasses (@ flameout) - maybe brown sugar instead
1oz Columbus (FWH)
1.67oz Columbus (Dry hop for 5 weeks)
1 pack Windsor yeast?
1 pack burton salts

mash around 151F, boil 90mins, ferment around 67F

Which yeast would be most accurate, S-04, windsor, notty, or something else?

Any suggestions on how to better this historic brew with an American twist?

Sounds like an interesting recipe.

I think it would be a good idea to switch to brown sugar, molasses would probably be too much. Rather than a standard brown I’d go with an unrefined sugar.

I’d skip the Burton salts and just add enough gypsum to get your water up to ~200 ppm sulfate. I’ve had bad luck trying to mimic Burton levels of minerals.

Not sure what yeast strain would be most accurate, with all that Columbus I wouldn’t be too worried about authenticity. With so much going on any of those will make a fine beer.

I like the idea of molasses, but 1/2 cup should be quite sufficient - it's got a pretty strong flavour to it. Brown or unrefined sugar will just thin things out too much for the amount of flavour they add.

If you're set on dry yeasts, I'd go for windsor, no question.

oops made a mistake on the dry hop, fixed it in the OP.
just to explain some of the recipe, from the reading I did on historic recipes, it sounded like it was common to use about 1oz per gallon for a hopping rate, with about 2/3 for bittering and about 1/3 for aroma. Columbus hops are about 3x the AA of english hops, so I'm knocking it down to about an oz for bittering and keeping the dry hop the same. it also sounds like grain bills were mostly base malt and around 10% sugar and wheat and oats were usually common too. the water was minerally, the OG was generally above 1.06 and IBUs were around 40-60+. this is what im basing my recipe on, so if any of this is incorrect please let me know.
and ya, thats probably too much molasses, should I do half demerara sugar and half molasses?

This is what I'm looking at now:
OG: 1.07ish, IBUs: 60ish
8.75# Marris Otter
1.25# Wheat Malt
1.25# Oat Malt
13oz Demerara sugar (flameout)
7oz Molasses (flameout)
1oz Columbus (FWH)
1.67oz Columbus (dry hop 5 weeks)
1 pack Notty (for the higher attenuation)

gypsum to ~200ppm sulfate, mash 151, boil 90mins, ferment ~65F

Any other final thoughts on this before I get to it tomorrow?

Back