Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Color Issue - What Went Wrong?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2014, 05:41 AM   #1
les2point0
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Color Issue - What Went Wrong?

Earlier today I brewed an Irish Red that came out medium-dark brown. Below is my grain bill for a 5 gallon batch

7 lb Maris Otter
2.5 lb Munich
1 lb Melanoidin
3.5 oz carafoam
3.5 oz aromatic
3.5 oz roasted barley

Irish Ale yeast, 10 HR starter (not on purpose)

1 oz east kent @ 60
1 oz fuggles @ 15

I understand aromatic, munich and melanoidin are all the same or at least extremely similar grains, but the way I had it plugged into beersmith had it coming in around 14.4 SRM which is exactly where I wanted it. The wort flowed out of the mash tun a stiff brown, looking like a light porter. My efficiency was low, i was shooting for 1.060 and flew in around 1.054. I believe the LHBS doesn't crush grains very fine. Could the color greatly change during the fermentation, or could there have been a problem with my grain bill? What do you guys think? It's also my first beer of the brew season so maybe I'm just getting first brew paranoia.

Thanks guys, and happy brewing!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2014, 07:46 AM   #2
Wolfbrau
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 27

RDWHAHB

Wort from runnings has lots of **** in it. A lot of it will ferment out, a lot of it will fall to the bottom, and only some of it will remain in the finished product.

Plus, you know what I call an Irish Brown Ale?

Delicious.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply