The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Cold brew coffee stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2012, 04:35 AM   #11
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 958 Times on 735 Posts
Likes Given: 1763

Coffee contains pseudo-tannins. They taste like tannin, but you can't actually tan leather with them. They represent about the last 20% of the solids that can be extracted when brewing a normal cup of coffee. You are usually trying to exclude these from the extraction when you make coffee. Lots of people drink bad tasting coffee because they don't have enough coffee in the machine and end up over-extracting.

If you included ground coffee or coffee beans in the primary, I would expect that you would have an over-extraction problem. Hence a "nasty" or bitter flavor. A couple of things come to mind to help with this. The first is to brew the coffee so it tastes good in the first place, therefore excluding the pseudo-tannins entirely. Alternately, decrease your other bittering ingredients drastically. IE: use little to no bittering hops.

This is just what occured to me from a logic standpoint. It would be interesting to know what using coffee in brewing has done in the real world.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2012, 10:45 AM   #12
ehedge20
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadgolem
If you included ground coffee or coffee beans in the primary, I would expect that you would have an over-extraction problem. Hence a "nasty" or bitter flavor. .
I did not experience this at all. Beer was great!

Old 08-29-2012, 02:25 PM   #13
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 958 Times on 735 Posts
Likes Given: 1763

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehedge20 View Post
I did not experience this at all. Beer was great!
Good to know. Do you happen to remember what roast you were using?

Old 08-29-2012, 02:28 PM   #14
ehedge20
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadgolem View Post
Good to know. Do you happen to remember what roast you were using?
I used Kona and one other kind that I can not remember for a founders breakfast stout clone.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:50 AM   #15
Boy
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

I've worked in coffee for few years and honestly one of my favorites is World Market's Italian roast. I have also run this through espresso bars and it still comes out great. For less than 10$ for 22oz it's a great deal. The little flavors I get from this blend are deep dark chocolate and a light mint flavor. This has been my go to for Coffee Porters and stouts. I would also recommend Sumatra Mendeling, Ethiopian Yirgoacheffe, and various Guatemalan blends for their earthiness.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:25 AM   #16
AdamWiz
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I just found this stuff online, seems to be perfect for brewing. Cold brewed, no bitterness, plus comes in a sealed container that should keep the contents sanitary. So I'm thinking you can just crack it open and pour into the fermenter, bottling bucket, or keg. Has anybody ever used this stuff?

http://www.kohanacoffee.com/collecti...entrate-3-pack

Old 09-07-2012, 11:04 AM   #17
DuffMantt
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

AdamWiz,
Thank you for finding and sharing... I'm itching to brew a Coffee Bender clone, and I think this off the shelf cold brewed coffee would be a very feasible option. Please let us know if you try this...

Old 11-01-2012, 06:15 PM   #18
KitB
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadgolem View Post
Coffee contains pseudo-tannins. They taste like tannin, but you can't actually tan leather with them. They represent about the last 20% of the solids that can be extracted when brewing a normal cup of coffee. You are usually trying to exclude these from the extraction when you make coffee. Lots of people drink bad tasting coffee because they don't have enough coffee in the machine and end up over-extracting.

If you included ground coffee or coffee beans in the primary, I would expect that you would have an over-extraction problem. Hence a "nasty" or bitter flavor. A couple of things come to mind to help with this. The first is to brew the coffee so it tastes good in the first place, therefore excluding the pseudo-tannins entirely. Alternately, decrease your other bittering ingredients drastically. IE: use little to no bittering hops.

This is just what occured to me from a logic standpoint. It would be interesting to know what using coffee in brewing has done in the real world.
I would think the low pH of your beer & low temperature (in relation to coffee brewing temperature) would help you avoid this, when adding directly to your fermenter.

Old 11-01-2012, 06:37 PM   #19
olefattguy
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I've used this with great result:

I used three tubes in a 8L damejeanne secondary. Poured the coffee powder in first, then the beer on top. Excellent coffee aroma! Simple, hygienic and consistent dosage.

Old 11-01-2012, 06:49 PM   #20
ACbrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 2

What I do sometimes when I cold brew my coffee is put some metabisulfate into it (the wine makers use that a lot when racking to cut down on oxydation problems, and it generally disipates after 24 hours). Anyhow, if I counter top brew - instead of fridge - I'll put in some meta-bi and then I don't worry about funky taste at teh end of the week (I cold brew a batch for the whole week). I'd think something similar could be done for adding to a beer.

Quick Reply