The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Cold brew coffee stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2012, 12:47 PM   #1
scarlessmeanie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Cold brew coffee stout

Okay, so I'm brewing a coffee stout tonight. I've got 4 oz. of coffee in 20 oz. boiled of water sitting in a sanitized jar in my fridge. Now, I know you shouldn't boil coffee, so I was wondering what everyone thinks about this:

Since I'm still doing partial mash stuff, using the coffee as part of the top off water? It seems to me like the only other way I could do it would be to add the coffee directly to the kettle at flameout. (Or during the last five minutes or so of the actual boil.)

I boiled the water I made the coffee out of and sanitized the jar, but I'm still worried about infections... Any help would be appreciated!

LIFT SHOP

RED CAP BREWING CO.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2012, 03:54 PM   #2
ehedge20
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I made a breakfast stout and I added the crushed beans right into the fermenter which worked really well. The coffee flavor was strong at first but mellowed out after about 2 weeks in the keg. I did have a little Starsan left in the bottom of the fermenter before I added the wort so I was sure to douse the beans with it.

Old 01-24-2012, 05:10 PM   #3
Cruzn4aBrewzn
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I made a coffee stout a few months ago. ( my best beer yet). And I added about 3/8 cup of cracked coffee beens in a hop bag to steep for 15 min after flameout. It worked amazingly well. The beer ended up with a nice coffee flavor that was not to much but you could still taste that it was there. (very balanced) Also I know a lot of guys who use it in the fermenter with great results as well.

Old 01-24-2012, 09:24 PM   #4
PassionForThePint
Recipes 

I'm a big fan of using cold brewed coffee and adding to the secondary, after some of the alcohol has developed and could find off anything in the coffee.

I do make sure to sanitize the cold coffee brewer, but the ground coffee worries me. However, no problems yet and I've done this a few times.

Mike from the Passion For The Pint

Old 01-25-2012, 03:54 AM   #5
scarlessmeanie
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well, I brewed tonight and added the cold brewed coffee to the wort at flameout/whirlpool. We'll see how it works out. One of the brewers where I work said that's what they do, because it's "more microbiologically stable." We'll see how things turn out... ::Crosses fingers::

LIFT SHOP

RED CAP BREWING CO.

Old 01-31-2012, 01:28 PM   #6
Jeepninja
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I make a russian imperial stout and I generally add almost a gallon of french pressed coffee. If your coffee tastes really bitter or unpleasant in a coffee cup I find that it will taste equally, if not more so, unpleasant in a beer.

I add my coffee to the secondary. The long aging time of the RIS lends itself well to lots of coffee flavor. I also drink a LOT of coffee, I'm sure others would want to add less.

Here is my beer:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Demo...-Infused-Beer/

Brewing beer to support my paintball problem.

http://www.pubcrawling.org

Old 01-31-2012, 04:44 PM   #7
thepartsmancometh
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts

I've tried a few techniques for coffee. I've had the best luck with adding brewed coffee to the secondary. I generally add a full pot of super strong (like espresso strength) hot brewed coffee to the fermenter and then rack into it. I tried adding crushed beans once (for the NB peace coffee kit) and the coffee flavor was sorta nasty

Old 02-11-2012, 01:47 AM   #8
kskiles
Recipes 

I brewed this Mudhouse Stout back in November and it turned out pretty well. I added the coffee to the keg when I racked in.

http://www.byo.com/stories/recipeind...mudhouse-stout

Old 02-11-2012, 01:39 PM   #9
Boy
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

I add it at bottling. I use a ratio of 1oz coffee to 4oz water. Best trick I found is to make it in a growler. Then you just flip the growler upside down and 95% of the grounds stay in the growler. I'll actually flip it into a french press so I can get all of the grounds out. Or you could add some at secondary and more at bottling to give excellent coffee flavor that isn't overpowering in the first 6 months.

Old 02-11-2012, 03:44 PM   #10
one8tvw
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boy View Post
I add it at bottling. I use a ratio of 1oz coffee to 4oz water. Best trick I found is to make it in a growler. Then you just flip the growler upside down and 95% of the grounds stay in the growler. I'll actually flip it into a french press so I can get all of the grounds out. Or you could add some at secondary and more at bottling to give excellent coffee flavor that isn't overpowering in the first 6 months.
bottling bucket is the best IMO

bottled-
Vanilla-Maple Brown
Rum-Nog Stout
Bananas Foster Cream Ale

Quick Reply