Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Coffee Stout recipe in Brew Your Own

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2007, 09:25 PM   #11
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 566 Times on 334 Posts
Likes Given: 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjon88
Anyone ever tried Java Stout from Bells brewery in Michigan. A guy I know brought me one of those the other night. I could barely drink it. I dont know if it was the coffee or the hops but that stuff was bitter.
Yeah.

That's why I'd try and keep the IBU's lower than 30. THe coffee will "bitter it up" enough.

Kinda the same with wit biers. That coriander takes over where the low hops leafs off...get it? leafs off...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2007, 12:22 AM   #12
glorifiedbusdriver
Recipes 

Thanks for the recipe, that does sound like an excelent beer. I have never used quick oats, only flaked. Does that require a step mash? If it does, I've been trying to find an excuse to build Flyguy's steam system. NB doesn't list quick oats either, I guiss you mean the stuff from the grocery store. I don't think I can find any Kent Goldings anywhere but I assume Willamete would be suficient.

Cheers!

Old 11-08-2007, 01:23 PM   #13
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 566 Times on 334 Posts
Likes Given: 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by glorifiedbusdriver
Thanks for the recipe, that does sound like an excelent beer. I have never used quick oats, only flaked. Does that require a step mash? If it does, I've been trying to find an excuse to build Flyguy's steam system. NB doesn't list quick oats either, I guiss you mean the stuff from the grocery store. I don't think I can find any Kent Goldings anywhere but I assume Willamete would be suficient.

Cheers!
No step mash required since you're brewing a dark beer. Make sure you get “quick” oats. It’s basically just oatmeal you get at the store.

Willamette would be an excellent choice. I just happened to have EKG on hand, but I love Willamette.

Quick Reply