Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Coffee

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2009, 04:29 AM   #1
KYB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Coffee

When would I add it? Mash? Boil? Should it be ground/crushed? I plan to do a couple stouts with some nice coffee in them in the near future. Thanks for any help.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2009, 04:33 AM   #2
Cheeto
Born again N00b
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I cold steep about 1/4 cup of fresh grounds in 1 qt of water in the back of the fridge for about a week then add that to my stouts.

cold steeping prevents the release of the bitter tannins that could ruin your brew!

Conventional brewing and boiling of coffee grounds produces bitter tannins.

Old 09-25-2009, 04:49 AM   #3
KYB
Recipes 

I searched here but not google. Found a BYO article. According to them, you can do it at any time and any way. Hmm, not sure which I should try first.

http://www.byo.com/stories/recipes/article/indices/38-ingredients/318-brewing-with-coffee

Old 09-25-2009, 04:55 AM   #4
WenValley
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I brewed up a batch of Tuck's "Chocolate Espresso Stout" a couple of months ago, and kegged it a month ago. This stuff is over the top! It's like a chocolate milkshake in a glass.

I took a "handful" of sumatra espresso beans, and dumped them into the secondary carboy. Just dropped them in whole. They sank over a few days, and the coffee flavor is spot on.

This stout is getting better as it ages, the chocolate bitter taste is melding into a smoother espresso mouth feel.

The only problem is that too many people know that this in now on tap, and it's a very special stout that needs to be savored and appreciated.

Sorry for the ramble... just dump them into the secondary... Good luck.

'A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.'

Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by WenValley; 09-25-2009 at 01:17 PM.

Old 09-25-2009, 06:51 AM   #5
arturo7
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 142 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I haven't done it yet but I am keenly interested in the best way to pull it off. The general rule, from the coffee snob POV, is cold coffee should be cold brewed as described above.

Adding beans to the secondary? hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WenValley View Post
This stout is getting better as it ages, the chocolate bitter taste is melding into a smoother espresso mouth feel.
You added chocolate as well?

Hey, knock that shvt off. We're drinkin' here.

Last edited by arturo7; 09-25-2009 at 06:55 AM.

Old 09-25-2009, 10:06 AM   #6
Lefty
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I am finishing up a Coffee Stout batch that was absolute heaven. I brewed my beans very strong and added them to the bottling bucket for more coffee taste. Then I took one bean and place it in each bottle. This turned out very coffee flavored as I intended, but it has ZERO head retention because of the oils in the coffee beans. Tastes great (if you like strong coffee) but no head retention.

On a side note, the other thing I would do differently is the brewing of the coffee. The cold brew would end up being less bitter coffee flavor for a more balanced beer. Some non coffee drinkers did not like this beer because of this. My old Navy friends however, loved it.

Old 09-25-2009, 11:08 AM   #7
Grinder12000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I added 4 oz of Sumatran ground coarse at flame out and then 4 oz of Kona as a Dry Hop.

Worked awesome. No problems with head retention - maybe the 1 lb of oatmeal helped? I also had 2 different chocolates mixed in,

Grinders Island Brewery - Pipeline

Bottled! Award winning East India Porter, Oatmeal Stout, Milk Stout, Saison fermenting at a nice controlled 85 degrees (up from 70) as it should be - weird isn't it.

Old 09-25-2009, 11:33 AM   #8
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 37 Posts

I plan on "dry hopping" my ground beans. This was suggested by the head brewer at Terrapin since its what they do thier Wake N' Bake Coffee Oatmeal RIS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WenValley View Post

I took a "handful" of sumatra espresso beans,
luck.
You took Sumatran beans to an espresso roast? The horror! People think darker roasted coffee is stronger. No, its just burned.

Old 09-25-2009, 04:32 PM   #9
KYB
Recipes 

Thanks for all the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder12000 View Post
I added 4 oz of Sumatran ground coarse at flame out and then 4 oz of Kona as a Dry Hop.

Worked awesome. No problems with head retention - maybe the 1 lb of oatmeal helped? I also had 2 different chocolates mixed in,
How intense was the coffee flavors with 8oz?

Old 09-27-2009, 12:51 PM   #10
RobbyBeers
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODaniel View Post
Found a BYO article. According to them, you can do it at any time and any way.
I read this article, too. Then I just said...eff it...and brewed espresso on the stovetop and dumped it in with the primary. The beer came out very nice.

I'd like to try some of the other methods some time, but I'd say in general, the simple coffee + beer combo tends to come out nice if you respect the ingredient and avoid the pitfalls (overbrewing, bad ratios, etc.).

I don't want to relax. I'm too worried. But I will drink that homebrew.

Quick Reply