New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Coconut Porter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2011, 06:03 PM   #1
skagit991
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Coconut Porter

I am making a coconut porter and I have added 8ounces of toasted coconut to the secondary. How long should i let it sit? I have seen some threads that say not to let it sit too long? How long is too long? The SG is about where it should be for bottling but I wanted to let it settle a bit more before I do. Suggestions?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2011, 08:22 PM   #2
clipperskip
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skagit991 View Post
I am making a coconut porter and I have added 8ounces of toasted coconut to the secondary. How long should i let it sit? I have seen some threads that say not to let it sit too long? How long is too long? The SG is about where it should be for bottling but I wanted to let it settle a bit more before I do. Suggestions?
I just made a coconut porter patterned after Maui Brewing's beer. I actually put 16 oz of toasted unsweetened organic Coconut in a hop bag for the last 10 minutes of the boil. I also added 8 oz. of toasted Organic coconut in the secondary. I would say the coconut flavor is a bit more pronounced than the commercial version but still somewhat subdued. The good news is that after force carbonating it it creates a decent head. I was worried because of all the coconut oils .I left the "dry hopped" coconut in the secondary for 10 days. I am not sure that it would have benefited from any more time on the coconut.

Old 01-08-2011, 08:31 PM   #3
Castawayales
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I only leave my beer in the secondary for 4 days with the coconut and rack off of the toasted coconut leaving the top layer of beer/coconut behind. Then let it sit for 10 days and bottle as usual.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:37 PM   #4
rycov
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 6

i never made one, but i have had one. i was kinda sad that it didnt have very much coconut taste. it was verygood, but if they didnt specify coconut i wouldnt have known it had any in there. it was just a little toasty. try to get as much as you can out of your coconut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsweet View Post
I would make a yeast starter, and pitch it into your mailbox.

Old 01-10-2011, 12:01 AM   #5
skagit991
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

thanks for the tips. I added 8 ounces of cocoa powder to the wort. i have heard that some people add lactose to balance the chocolate. is that needed? where do you get it? i couldn't find it at my brew shop.

Last edited by skagit991; 01-10-2011 at 03:42 AM.

Old 02-09-2011, 12:32 AM   #6
cowperc
Recipes 

i just tasted my first beer from the coconut porter batch that i recently brewed. i put 21 oz of coconut in muslin bags and racked my secondary onto that...let it sit for about a week.

it's only been 7 days since i bottled, and the coconut is really strong -- will that fade much as time goes? i'm a little worried that this is dangerously close to "dessert beer" territory. when i first poured, there was actually some decent head and not much of a coconut odor, so it caught me off guard when i had that first taste.

Primary: Pale Ale
Bottled: Toasted Coconut Porter
Adventures in beer: http://cowperc.wikidot.com/

Old 02-09-2011, 01:25 AM   #7
rycov
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 6

it would probably age out a little. since its a porter it will probably stand up to aging for a little while. 21oz seems like maybe a bit much. but like i said i've never brewed one. you said the coconut flavor is strong. but is it good? nothing wrong with having a dessert beer. atleast you commited. i was pissed when i had a comercial coconut stout that didn't taste anything like coconut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsweet View Post
I would make a yeast starter, and pitch it into your mailbox.

Old 11-18-2011, 03:51 PM   #8
InTheBeginning
Recipes 

Any good ideas for baking/cooking with the coconut afterwards?

Enjoy the freedom to brew!

Quick Reply