Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Coconut Caramel Cream Stout: A recipe for Cheesefood?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2008, 04:01 AM   #11
homebrewer_99
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I had a Chocolate Coconut Porter from Kona Brewery in Hawaii a couple of weeks ago. It was like drinking candy. Very nice.

I have a Choconut Stout brewing right now. I added 1 - 14 oz can of Coconut Milk to the boil. I had the aroma, but no flavor. I read Kona uses this, but I went to their website and they said they use milk. Another said they toast their coconut and use it like a dry hop. Other friends recommend Cononut extract.

Who knows where this may end up?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2008, 04:22 AM   #12
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Schnikey!

Holy Moly.... Low in behold I accidently find this thread revived.

I thought this sucker was dead. I never made this, but was planning to later this summer. I like to do AG as a spring, summer, fall thing. I was thinking this baby would be good for a summer brew to age until late fall early spring.

ColoradoXJ13 & homebrewer_99 - If you have tasting notes I'd like to see how it fairs. My HB club helped nix the idea after I mentioned it at a meeting. They all thought yuck!!

Who knows... maybe they'll like my banana cream ale mixed with coconut cream stout as wacked-out black and tan!!

BTW - I finally started using the subscribe feature! It took almost 2 friggin' years to try it...

BS Nano-Brewery

Primary: SNPA Clone, Apfelwein
2ndary: Empty
Drinking: Dead Ringer IPA, Ma Duece (50 caliber) - Malt Liquor, Cranberry Wheat
Next: Cali-Common, American Amber, Smoked to Helles

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Last edited by Schlenkerla; 04-19-2008 at 04:34 AM.

Old 04-21-2008, 05:04 PM   #13
ColoradoXJ13

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 6 Posts

I will surely post up, like I said, I had this beer at the Mt. Sun for stout month both last year (when it won the competition) and they made it again this year. I really liked this beer, and from what Adam said, it will come out better made at home on a smaller scale. I tweaked the recipe a bit based on what my LHBS had available, and I am adding the coconut tonight.

Old 03-24-2009, 06:14 PM   #14
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2712 Times on 1630 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

I'm bumping this since my man Schlenkerla linked it to me and it sounds interesting...I'm wondering how those who brewed this liked it...is it overly sweet?

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-14-2010, 06:28 AM   #15
munklunk
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Bumping it also. Has anybody made this yet?

"Dad always thought laughter was the best medicine, which I guess is why several of us died of tuberculosis"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suthrncomfrt1884 View Post

I know one thing... if there's a depression and beer companies go out of business... I'm selling my homebrew.
Huckleberry Brewing

Pride of the Northside

Old 09-16-2010, 10:32 PM   #16
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I have yet to make this. I bought the ingredients and intended to make an extract version. I wound up making a straight up cream stout. I planned to use coconut milk in the primary and the coconut in the secondary. I may eventually get around to this as I am certain I would like this. I would probably gargle with it without spitting.

Sorry, I'm not much help, just cheering from the sidelines.

BS Nano-Brewery

Primary: SNPA Clone, Apfelwein
2ndary: Empty
Drinking: Dead Ringer IPA, Ma Duece (50 caliber) - Malt Liquor, Cranberry Wheat
Next: Cali-Common, American Amber, Smoked to Helles

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Old 10-12-2010, 07:44 PM   #17
ColoradoXJ13

Recipes 

Just saw this got resurrected again. I made the beer back in 2008, drank one keg in the winter of 2008/2009 and it was amazing. Everyone who tried it loved it, and I really enjoyed it as well. At that time, I was brewing with a friend and we would split 10g batches. Around a year later, he sold off his kegerator (to me) and his kegs, several of which were still full of our beer. So, drank the 2nd keg of this winter 2009/2010 and it was even better, the aging mellowed out the bitterness of some of the dark malts and the sweetness of the coconut and lactose rounded out nicely and the beer was astounding...definitely one of my best beers. It really is a dessert beer though, not something you want to drink 4 or 5 of while watching football, more of an after-dinner beer. I usually ended my nights with one of these instead of having ice cream or something :-)

This beer is on my short list of things i want to brew this fall so I have one keg for this winter, and one for next winter.

This beer also won an informal competition with a large group of friends (non-brewers) who do an Octoberfest, it was the only homebrew up against about 25 commercial beers that we all tasted blindly and rated.

Old 10-12-2010, 09:17 PM   #18
StLouisBrews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Thinking about trying this recipe later on in the winter months. You said it didn't have as malty of a profile as you would have liked. Do you think if I added more malts to your recipe it would help or substitute over a different malt in your recipe?

Old 10-18-2010, 06:38 PM   #19
ColoradoXJ13

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StLouisBrews View Post
Thinking about trying this recipe later on in the winter months. You said it didn't have as malty of a profile as you would have liked. Do you think if I added more malts to your recipe it would help or substitute over a different malt in your recipe?
Don't think I ever said it didn't have a malty profile. I brewed it again yesterday, used a different base recipe (Sweet Stout from Classic Styles) and added 1lb toasted oats (home toasted) and used Marris Otter as the base malt. We'll see, should be ready in a few months.

Old 04-12-2011, 04:13 AM   #20
mxwrench
Recipes 

how did your new updates turn out?

Quick Reply