Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Cocoa Beans for a Chocolate Porter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2007, 02:27 PM   #1
paulthenurse
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Location: Down by the rivah, Down by the banks of the Rivah Chahles.
Liked 301 Times on 250 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Default Cocoa Beans for a Chocolate Porter

So I made a Porter last week that I wanted to tinker with. I picked up a few ounces of cocoa beans and was told buy the storekeeper that you could roast them for 25-30 minutes and grind them and have cocoa powder. I wanted to add the cocoa pwder to the porter, the rhinheitsgebolt be damned. The porte r has a nice taste but I think it would be really great with a bit of added choclolate. I roasted the beans in the toaster oven for 30 minutes at 300 degress as the tag on the package suggested. It smelled quite nice, sort of brought me back to my childhood and Mom making cookies. I let them cool and then ground them up in a coffee grinder and it smells like ass. What happened? How can they smell so great when whole and so bad when ground? I didn't over grind them/ I didn't burn them, infact i think I could have roasted them a touch longer as the powder tended to clump up in the grinder. (I'm atributing that to internal moisture that might have disipated if I'd cooked them a bit longer?) I haven't added them to the beer and I haven't thrown them out yet. Will the chocolate flavor come out if I toss the powder in the beer or will I end up with Asslick Chocolate Porter?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2007, 03:56 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 129 Posts

Roasting cocoa beans is very tricky, just a little too much heat can mess them up. 250F is the recommended temperature for fine beans and toaster ovens have lousy control. When you grind beans, you get nibs, not powder. They are sticky because of the cocoa butter, not moisture. If you grind the nibs long enough, you end up with cocoa mass, which will dry into a rock-like material. The cocoa butter is why I wouldn't use them. It kills head retention and can create a slick.

The nibs should smell and taste like very bitter chocolate, anything else & I would recommend tossing them.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 11-26-2007, 04:03 PM   #3
cheezydemon
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Good info! I was wanting to get some beans and mash them with my grains for a stout. I guess I won't now. Bummer.

BOTTLED: "Route 66 IPA" 7% ABV, "Dave's Imperial Stout" 12% ABV , "Spider Imperial Stout" 9%ABV , "Mutt Irish Ale" 7% ABV, "Sorta Sierra" IPA's 4.4% ABV, "Habanero Ales" 5.5% ABV, "Pumpkin Seed Ale" 5.5% ABV , "Marzen" Lager, "Step child Ale",
PRIMARies: "Caramel Amber" , "Black Porter"
SECONDARIES:1 :"Miller Ale"
On DECK: Another Russian Stout

Old 11-26-2007, 04:12 PM   #4
Ryan_PA
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I read somewhere just crushing the beans and adding them to the mash is one of the mose effective ways to get flavor. I realize this is a little late since it apprears you have the brew done.

Where did you get the beans? I cannot find anywhere that sells in those quantities.

Old 11-26-2007, 07:39 PM   #5
cheezydemon
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Me either! Are mash temps not enough to release the butter I wonder? Maybe I'm not out of this yet! I can't find whole beans either of course.

BOTTLED: "Route 66 IPA" 7% ABV, "Dave's Imperial Stout" 12% ABV , "Spider Imperial Stout" 9%ABV , "Mutt Irish Ale" 7% ABV, "Sorta Sierra" IPA's 4.4% ABV, "Habanero Ales" 5.5% ABV, "Pumpkin Seed Ale" 5.5% ABV , "Marzen" Lager, "Step child Ale",
PRIMARies: "Caramel Amber" , "Black Porter"
SECONDARIES:1 :"Miller Ale"
On DECK: Another Russian Stout

Old 11-27-2007, 01:01 AM   #6
paulthenurse

Recipes 

Location: Down by the rivah, Down by the banks of the Rivah Chahles.
Liked 301 Times on 250 Posts
Likes Given: 47

S when I woke up I smelled the powder again and asked SWMBO to sniff them also. We both agreed that they do smell like a dark chocolate, bitter with a hint of burnt odor. Nothing like milk chocolate at all. I'm thinking that I could use them, but at a much lower rate than I would have done so before. I would have used a couple of tablespoons before, now I'n thinking no more than a teaspoon. Will I get into trouble adding the ground beans to teh secondary,oil slicks or whatever? I tasted the porter when I transfered it into the secondary this morning and it would be nice if I could add a touch of chocolate to it, there is none there now.

Paul

Old 11-28-2007, 01:40 AM   #7
Judd
Recipes 

Have you considered just using chocolate malt? I know it's not the same, but it's more reliable.

Old 11-28-2007, 03:17 AM   #8
ModlrMike
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I thought that chocolate beers (porter/stout) were so called because of the high concentrations of chocolate malt used relative to other styles. I think that using real chocolate in any of its various forms would be a disaster due to the fat content. I'm not sure if cocoa powder is safe, but it might be worth a try.

On Tap: Cooper's European Lager
On Tap: Smoked Porter
Carboy 1: Don't Kill Kenny Irish Red
Carboy 2: empty
Carboy 3: empty
Aging: Welch's White - 1 gal
Aging: Cranberry/black cherry - 1 gal
Aging: JOAM - 1 gal

Old 11-30-2007, 12:57 AM   #9
nickwc5
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

would steeping the crushed beans in the boil extract the flavor? so you wouldn't have to add them to the mash?

Old 11-30-2007, 02:12 AM   #10
Melana
Up to no good....
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1463 Times on 886 Posts
Likes Given: 932

Paul - where did you get said magic chocolate beans? Inquiring local minds want to know!

Quick Reply