Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Cluster hops...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2011, 02:10 PM   #11
nutty_gnome
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Arise zombie thread, ARISE!

I used an ounce of cluster for flavor and aroma (.5 ounces at 20 and 2 mins) last week and I was super impressed with the scent of the raw hops in the package. Totally grapefruit scented when raw. I've used an ounce of them here and there and I don't get the citrus flavor aroma in the beer. I think they are my favorite smelling raw hops.

N_G
It could be worse.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 02:34 AM   #12
badducky
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I just finished a bottle of an all-Cluster American Wheat that really impressed me with the fruity, spicy, and just slightly dank flavor of this which is now my favorite American C-hop. It is a versatile hop! I've yet to encounter the catty complaint I see all over the intertubes. I have encountered clean bittering, spice notes at low levels, with a fruitiness that rises to grapefruit depending on how much is used. It works very well with Nottingham yeast, and even did well giving a light bittering charge to a Hefeweizen earlier this year. I'm liking them best, perhaps, as a dry hop to capture that wonderfully-pleasant smell that they have in the bag.

My wife likes the smell so much she wants to use it to make herbal teas and potpourris and scented candles. (She doesn't drink beer, naturally!)

Old 05-13-2013, 03:41 PM   #13
WeissGuy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Would 1.5-2 ounces in a 5 gallon stout batch work, just as bittering at 60 minutes?

Old 05-15-2013, 12:47 AM   #14
badducky
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Check out www.hopville.com and plug in your recipe, and style of beer, and it should tell you if you're within range of the style.

There's a couple great beer brewing tools out there.

Quick Reply