Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Closest clone to Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2013, 02:41 AM   #11
Jakkob
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadlee View Post
So, I brewed this and it ended up being quite light in color and flavor. In other stout style recipes a dark DME or LME is used along with the specialty grains. Just wanted verification that it is Light DME in this recipe
I agree. I brewed this clone exactly as it was described. It is the second worst beer I have ever made.

No flavor, and a brown color. Brown does NOT equal stout. I was very disappointed.

The first time I used this clone, I added extra chocolate malt, and I used 3 pounds light DME, and 3 pounds Briess Dark DME. I also added an extra 1 and 1/2 pounds of DME. It was delicious.

Never use this recipe! Use my altered version.

UPDATE 2-2-2013:
In a desperate attempt to fix this disaster of a recipe I steeped 8 ounces of chocolate malt in 1/2 gallon of water, then reduced it to a quarter gallon, chilled it, and then poured it into the keg. It now tastes pretty good, but not as good as my altered recipe.
My advice, just keep making oatmeal stouts, tweaking them each time and experimenting with yeasts, and one day we may have a decent clone. Too bad we can't harvest yeast from a bottle of SS Oatmeal Stout...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2013, 03:18 PM   #12
Malty_Dog
Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakkob View Post
I agree. I brewed this clone exactly as it was described. It is the second worst beer I have ever made.

No flavor, and a brown color. Brown does NOT equal stout. I was very disappointed.

The first time I used this clone, I added extra chocolate malt, and I used 3 pounds light DME, and 3 pounds Briess Dark DME. I also added an extra 1 and 1/2 pounds of DME. It was delicious.

Never use this recipe! Use my altered version.

UPDATE 2-2-2013:
In a desperate attempt to fix this disaster of a recipe I steeped 8 ounces of chocolate malt in 1/2 gallon of water, then reduced it to a quarter gallon, chilled it, and then poured it into the keg. It now tastes pretty good, but not as good as my altered recipe.
My advice, just keep making oatmeal stouts, tweaking them each time and experimenting with yeasts, and one day we may have a decent clone. Too bad we can't harvest yeast from a bottle of SS Oatmeal Stout...
Wow, you ripped this recipe pretty good. Weird how the results vary with this. Its unfortunate because I am a tad concerned going into a brewing weekend where this is one of the two batches I plan on brewing. Based on Clonebrews version I think I will go ahead and do the partial mash with 2 lbs Maris Otter. I want to do a partial mash 1) because I'm trying to step up my brewing game and 2) it seems to me that it will result in a higher quality extraction (I think that's the term) than simply steeping for 20 min. Also want to get the full effect from the oats. I may try to get as close to a full volume boil as I can, probably 5 gallons or so.

Are there any recommendations from the crowd about quantity of roasted barley or anything else to make sure this is a solid, dark oatmeal stout? Would a little more roasted barley and a little more oatmeal be helpful?

TIA!

Old 02-15-2013, 03:30 PM   #13
jflongo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I have my own version but you can try this one if you want. I also toasted my oats for about 20 - 30 min. I just brewed my own version, and transferred it to secondary the other day, while taking a gravity reading, I tasted it, and it was pretty good. I have not bottled it and tried the final product yet though.

http://hopville.com/recipe/546630

Old 02-19-2013, 08:45 PM   #14
clevefails
Clevefails
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I have a great oatmeal stout I have made and altered,made this one 3 times,everyone loves it,real dark,taste like Samuel smiths
9.5 lbs. pale malt
1.5 lbs. cara-pils.
1.5 lbs. flaked oats
1.75 lbs. quaker oats
.75 lbs. roasted unmalted barley
.50 lbs. med. crystal
.25 lbs. black patent
mash 90 min. @ 154 d.
1 oz. brewers gold 60 min.
1 oz. uk fuggle 30 min.
wyeast 1028
carboy 16 days
cold crash then keg,age cold for 21days

Old 02-19-2013, 10:06 PM   #15
beargrylls
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevefails View Post
I have a great oatmeal stout I have made and altered,made this one 3 times,everyone loves it,real dark,taste like Samuel smiths
9.5 lbs. pale malt
1.5 lbs. cara-pils.
1.5 lbs. flaked oats
1.75 lbs. quaker oats
.75 lbs. roasted unmalted barley
.50 lbs. med. crystal
.25 lbs. black patent
mash 90 min. @ 154 d.
1 oz. brewers gold 60 min.
1 oz. uk fuggle 30 min.
wyeast 1028
carboy 16 days
cold crash then keg,age cold for 21days
is that for a 5 gallon batch? what's the og and fg supposed to be?

Old 02-19-2013, 11:02 PM   #16
clevefails
Clevefails
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

5 gallon batch

Og 1068
Fg 1020

Quick Reply