Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Clone SN Tumbler...Help!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2010, 04:36 PM   #41
Germelli1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I actually used the second runnings from my stout with this hop bill. I didn't have any smoked malt to add but should be a tasty brown ale!

If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I would spend 6 sharpening my axe. ~Abe Lincoln

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2010, 08:14 PM   #42
CScruggs
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpeel View Post
Not carbed yet, but I'm cold crashing mine. The hydro sample I drank 2 days ago tasted exactly like I remember Tumbler tasting at the bar. Brown ale roast on top of an ESB base is how it strikes me. Gimme a week and hopefully I'll have it crashed, kegged, carbed and compared to a real Tumbler.

Weird thing is that my version finished kinda high: 1.018-1.019. The sample tastes right on and it doesn't seem overly sweet, so I'm going to keg it.
Waiting in suspense, for results and a recipe.

Old 11-12-2010, 10:08 PM   #43
ghpeel
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Here's recipe, slightly tweaked from what I had posted earlier in thread:

5.25 gallons
8.5 lbs Pale Malt (Weyermans)
1.0 lbs Smoked malt (Weyermans, very important!)
1.0 lbs British Crystal 50-60L
6.0 oz Pale Chocolate Malt - cold steeped day before
1.5oz Challenger @ 60
1.0oz Challenger @ 10
1.0oz EKG @ 10
Fermentis S-04
Mash at 155F, ferment at 65F.

I screwed up my mash temps, started at 160F by accident for a few minutes. That might account for my higher final gravity (1.018-1.019).

Pale Chocolate was cold steeped in about a quart or so of RO water. Drained that through a strainer and added liquid to the boil.

I did the beer as a No Chill. I left out the 10 minute hops until I was ready to pitch yeast. I steeped the hops for 10 minutes in some nearly boiling wort that I threw into a pot after I moved the beer from the No Chill cube into the fermenter. Curious to see how the hop aroma/flavor come through in the final product. I'll report back by next week, hopefully.

=============================================

Kegged: Dunkelweizen
Primary: American Pale Ale

Old 11-14-2010, 10:56 PM   #44
flipper51
Recipes 

I want to thank everyone who's posted in this thread, as this was a beer I really wanted to try. I had to do some things differently with the ingredients I had (and no LHBS). Brewed yesterday, I'll let you know how it is when I know:

10 gal, expected 70% efficiency and OG of 1.058

19 lb + 1 oz Canadian pale
1 lb crystal 40
1 lb crystal 75
1 lb chocolate
3 oz peated (Simpsons)
mashed 3lb:1gal @ 156 for 95 minutes (batch sparge)

1.25 oz Magnum (12.5%) boiled ~90 min
2 oz Willamette (4.8%) at 15 minutes
2 oz Willamette at 9 minutes
Gives about 38 IBUs
Split into 2 carboys, one with Notty, the other S-05.

My efficiency was just about dead-on but over-boiled to what looks like 9 gallons at 1.063. I think I'll dilute it at bottling since I'm trying to approximate Tumbler.

I'm not too worried about the Willamettes -- it'll be different from Challenger/EKG, but Willamette fits the style well. The peated malt? Well, that might be risky, but it didn't seem too strong during the mash. I can name it Bog Tumbler if I have to.

Old 11-21-2010, 11:54 PM   #45
ghpeel
Recipes 

Update time:

Comments on this beer include: "really good", "tastes just like a Tumbler" and "awesome."

I dont have a Tumbler beside me to compare too, but it seems to be really close to how I remember the Tumbler tasting. The beer is a nice, complex brown ale with a roasty character from the Pale Chocolate.

And don't let the smoked malt scare you off. NO ONE has drank any and picked it out. Everyone is surprised when I say it's in there, but after you realize that, you can kind of make it out in the background. I think it adds a nice complexity to the beer.

Old 12-05-2010, 01:50 PM   #46
Johnny9
Recipes 

I kegged my attempt yesterday (receipe below):

It needs to carbonate still, so too early to compare. Color is definitely off as its much lighter than Tumbler. It tasted amazing though. May have under done the smoke, really can't detect it at all (yet).

I am heading out of town on business, it should be carbed when I return later this week. standby.

Johnny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny9 View Post
I brewed this last week:

12 gallon batch:

21.3# Hugh Baird
1.0# Smoked Malt
2.5# Crystal 10L
1.7# Choc. Malt 200L

Don't know what happened, but somehow got home from the brew store with Pale Choc Malt??? My SRM looked more like 15 going into the kettle. oh well, it will still be beer and I bet I'll drink it

Challenger/Goldings additions as previously described in this thread.

OG=1.056. Pitched WLP-001 and is currently fermenting at 68F.

I always let my ales go 30 days, so I should be kegging around 12/7. Standby.

JR

Old 12-05-2010, 04:20 PM   #47
dwarven_stout
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I've brewed this twice now, and it's quite close. It's not a true "clone" because I didn't use correct hops. I didn't have Challenger or Yakima Goldings, but Pearle and Northern Brewer are closeish to Challenger so I subbed in a mix of the two as finishing hops. Goldings I replaced with Willamette.

The first brew I toasted a pound of crushed malt for 20m at 350- that beer was very good, but it was more roasty and smoky than Tumbler. The second time I didn't toast, and it came out just about right but still slightly more smoky. Color is quite close, bitterness is right, and the hop profile is slightly overstated (but imho even better!), a little less spicy and a little more herbal. I'll post a picture next time I open one.

Here's what I did:

5.5 gallon batch

Grain:
8.00 lb 2-Row Pale Malt (78.05%)
1.00 lb Caramel-40 (9.76 %)
0.75 lb Chocolate Malt (7.32 %)
0.50 lb Weyerman Smoked Malt (4.88 %)

Mash in: 14.00 qt of water at 165 F to hit 154 F for 60 minutes
Sparge: 17.00 qt of water at 185 F to hit 170 F for 10 minutes

Run off 6.5 gallons at 1.043
60 minute boil to get 5.5 gallons at 1.052

Hops:
60 minutes: 0.50 oz Northern Brewer [12.50 %] (20.6 IBU)
10 minutes: 1.00 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (6.6 IBU)
0.50 oz Pearle [8.40 %] (5.0 IBU)
0.50 oz Northern Brewer [12.50 %] (7.5 IBU)

Danstar Nottingham

"I can't believe how many people think Air Lock is pronounced Hydrometer." -BigKahuna
"If you gave me a beer with placenta in it without telling me I would kick you in the nuts." -ODaniel
"We be in a big hurry for dope beer with much alcamahol and flavor, quality, balance, and aroma don't matter. We just wantz to be druck, u know?" -Yooper

Old 12-06-2010, 04:07 AM   #48
ghpeel
Recipes 

Took my keg to another party last night and folks went nuts over it. This is a seriously good beer, i just cant seem to find any real Tumbler to compare it to. If you like browns, porters, or brown porters, this beer is for you. I'm calling it a Brown Porter if anyone asks for the style.

FYI - I cold steeped the Pale Chocolate and threw the liquid into the No Chill tank when I transfered from the kettle. Since it was never boiled, I think it gives a smoother roast character.

Also, the lacing on this beer is fantastic. Sticky white bands all down your glass as you are drinking.

Old 12-06-2010, 12:14 PM   #49
MgMt_Home_Brew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My batch is pretty tasty as well. I think it could use a few more IBUs to match up with the tumbler but it's still delicious.

Old 12-12-2010, 11:09 PM   #50
ghpeel
Recipes 

Finally found some real Tumbler in bottles to compare mine too, but I do think Tumbler fresh on draft is better than in the bottles...

SN Tumbler: less toasty, more hoppy than mine. Color was identical, but there's was a bit clearer. Theirs tastes slightly sweeter, which surprised me because I used what I would assume would be a slightly less attentive yeast (s-04). The beers were very similar, but mine wasn't quite a clone. Mine was more of a brown or brown porter while the real Tumbler strikes me as a brown/esb hybrid.

And it might be ugly baby syndrome, but I prefer mine

Quick Reply