Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Clear Candi Syrup - One Bag Looks Fine, the Other Looks Like Paste

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2012, 04:50 PM   #1
mthelm85
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Clear Candi Syrup - One Bag Looks Fine, the Other Looks Like Paste

So I'm getting ready to lauter/sparge the wort for my Belgian Tripel and I just decided to open up the 2 packs of clear candi syrup that I ordered and one looks like and has the consistency of corn syrup and the other looks white and pasty. What gives? It's the same product made by the same manufacturer but obviously something happened to the other one.

I'm not really too concerned as I weighed them both and they both weigh the same but I'm concerned that the pasty one might have way more sugar than the other which could throw my recipe out of whack.

Worst case scenario I end up with higher OG than anticipated but I was wondering if anyone else has experience this with Belgian Candi Syrup?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2012, 04:55 PM   #2
usfmikeb
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 234 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Not sure whether anything's wrong with it, but next time you can just use table sugar. There's really no reason to pay extra for what is essentially just table sugar in syrup form. The only reason to use special sugars is if they're going to impart a specific flavor, like adding piloncillo or demerara.

Old 01-15-2012, 06:09 PM   #3
mthelm85
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by usfmikeb View Post
Not sure whether anything's wrong with it, but next time you can just use table sugar. There's really no reason to pay extra for what is essentially just table sugar in syrup form. The only reason to use special sugars is if they're going to impart a specific flavor, like adding piloncillo or demerara.
Yeah I have read all about it but I decided I want to see for myself so I went ahead and bought it. I'll find out soon if the pasty one had more sugar than the clear one as soon as I get done boiling and check my OG.

Quick Reply