The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Clear candi sugar vs table sugar?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2009, 01:18 AM   #1
NewBrew75
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Clear candi sugar vs table sugar?

Any difference between clear candi sugar and table sugar?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2009, 01:22 AM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

I betcha if you looked at the similar threads listed at the bottom of your screen you will find the answers you need..especially the last one that looks fairly substantial....If not there's a ton of info on it here, if you search for it...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-26-2009, 01:56 AM   #3
RBlagojevich
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

ehh... not so much info in those threads below. There is one assertion that candi sugar is invert sugar, but another person says it's just sucrose, identical to table sugar.

I would be curious to know for sure whether there is in fact a difference between the two.

Old 01-26-2009, 02:05 AM   #4
NewBrew75
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yeah, I didn't really find any very good info in the treads either. Does anybody know for sure?

Old 01-26-2009, 02:17 AM   #5
beerthirty
big beers turn my gears

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 11 Posts

I will help on the condition that the next candi sugar question some one asks you pay it forward.
Candi sugar is a simple sugar made of short chain molecules therefore easier for yeast to consume and convert to alcohol.
Table sugar is a complex sugar made of long chain molecules therefore more difficult for the yeast to consume.
Conversion from table to candi is easy. heat wet table sugar in the presence of an acid such as lemon juice or cream of tartar until melted and begins to boil. stir often. when the sugar begins to turn yellow it can be poured onto wax paper or a silicone baking mat for cooling. you now have candi sugar also known as invert sugar.
NOTE, DISCLAIMER, WARNING: MELTED SUGAR IS VERY HOT AND STICKY AND CAN CAUSE SEVERE BURNS. CHECK THE WIKI OR OTHER SOURCES OF INFORMATION BEFORE ATTEMPTING TO PREVENT SERIOUS INJURY.

primary- Tangerine Dream, SWMBO slayer,
serving- amber ale hop experiment #6, Roggenbier, apfelwine
planning- Cru?
conditioning- 9/9/09 barleywine
Drink water?... Never, fish fornicate in it.--- W.C. Fields
Most problems can be solved with the proper application of force.

Old 01-26-2009, 03:19 AM   #6
bad coffee

Recipes 

Liked 420 Times on 417 Posts
Likes Given: 47

MAKING YOUR OWN BELGIAN CANDY SUGAR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuljin View Post
Wtf was chasing you for an hour? Buy a gun already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
I'm a meat hunter. PKU.

Old 01-26-2009, 03:25 AM   #7
NewBrew75
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks beerthirty, I'll do your favor from now on. Sorry for apparently asking another noob question.

Old 01-26-2009, 01:10 PM   #8
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 37 Posts

There are a few different types of "candi sugar".

In Brew Like Monk, there is a quote from a US brewery that had the solid rock form of candi sugar analyzed and it was 100% crystallized sucrose, which is to say it was table sugar but the granules were larger. In any event, we know that the rock form is not invert sugar because invert sugar does not readily crystallize (this is the property that makes it useful, it makes more shelf stable baked goods).

As per above, sucrose molecules are formed by one glucose molecule and one fructose molecule. This is a disaccharide, just like maltose (two glucose molecules). However, it isn't quite right to talk about yeast eating or metabolizing sucrose, because they don't. They will first invert it using invertase and then metabolize the resulting glucose and fructose. The rate determining step then in sucrose fermentation is inverting. I have seen no evidence that yeast have any problem inverting sucrose in the amounts used in brewing (~20% of fermentables) and all malt wort has a fair amount of sucrose anyway.

Liquid candi sugar is probably partially inverted. It would be hard to tell exactly what it was without direct chemical analysis and it almost certainly varies from manufacturer to manufacturer.

100% inverted syrup is available (it is manufactured in the US and sold to bakers primarily) and probably cheaper than imported liquid candi sugar.

IMO, as long as we are talking about clear sugar, table sugar is the best thing to use. If you really really really want inverted sugar, I would just buy the version of the product sold to bakers.

The dark versions of candi sugar have unique flavors and should be evaluated on that basis.

Old 01-26-2009, 02:10 PM   #9
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I've made my own clear invert in the past but I don't bother anymore and just use table sugar.

Old 01-26-2009, 02:31 PM   #10
carl spakler
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerthirty View Post
when the sugar begins to turn yellow it can be poured onto wax paper or a silicone baking mat for cooling.

I'd recommend one small change - do *not*use wax paper, use parchment for baking. The hot sugar will melt that wax easily and your sugar will now have the glorious flavor of a candle. The silicone baking mat is probably the best option, although more expensive.

carl - brewer and baker.

Quick Reply