Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Classic American Pilsner

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2011, 11:12 PM   #1
Jon_TWR
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Classic American Pilsner

Tis is my second attempt at a CAP...pretty much everything possible went wrong with the first one, which I don't want to talk about . Anyway, here's the recipe I brewed today:

5.5 gallon batch (post boil size), est 75% efficiency
7 lbs. American 2-row
3 lbs. Cracked Corn

1 oz. Whole Leaf Cluster hops (8.4% AA), First Wort Hopped
1/2 oz Hallertau Pellet hops (6.4% AA) @ 20"
1/2 oz Hallertau Pellet hops (6.4% AA) @7"

I did a cereal mash with the cracked corn and 1 lb. of 2-row. I slowly heated it to a boil, then boiled for 45 minutes. While it was going, I doughed in the other 6 lbs. 2-row at 140*...or at least that was my goal. It was actually more like 137*. I added the cereal mash to it, bringing it up to 160* (target was 158*) for 40".

Pitched a 3 L starter of harvested Fermentis Saflager W-34/70 (from when it was actually still cheaper than the liquid strain) @ 55*, and have it sitting in a wine chiller set to 50*)

So far, so good. OG was 1.052, IBUs should be around 34 (tinseth).

Feel free to give any comments or ask any questions.

Reason: Spelling

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2011, 11:39 PM   #2
Malticulous
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 74

More aroma hops would be nice. 6-row has the correct flavor. I would not FWH clusters. Even back in the day if they had the noble hops they certainly would want to showcase them in the flavor and aroma.

What was that corn? The best corn really helps make this beer. The bast I've used is organic Polenta.

As for the mash you will find out by your FG. If it ends at 1.010-1.015 it worked out well.

Old 04-04-2011, 01:48 AM   #3
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts

I think that the hopping is probably not that inauthentic, though I would prefer heavier late hopping.

6 row is more authentic but I think 2-row or even a 2-row pils blend makes a better beer.

Absolutely agree with malticulous on the corn. Bob's Red Mill grits make a much better beer than flaked maize at the LHBS, for example. I think if it was reasonably fresh and meant for human consumption you are probably okay.

FWIW, I also find steel cut oats superior to flaked oats both for eating and beer.

Old 04-04-2011, 01:27 PM   #4
mpruett
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

That's pretty close to the CAP I brewed about a month back after reading all the Fix and Renner articles I could get my hands on, as well as reading on here pretty diligently.

9 lbs 6 row
3 lbs flaked corn

28.3 g Sterling(7.5% AA) FWH
23 g Cluster(7% AA) @ 60 min
14 g Sterling(7.5% AA) @ 15 min

2 packets Saflager W34/70, pitched the following day at about 55, fermented at about 52 for 3 weeks, then racked into secondary, and being lagered until early July at just above freezing. Started 1.060, ended 1.011 before racking.

Reason: entered AA percentages

Old 04-04-2011, 02:04 PM   #5
Jon_TWR
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I may still dry hop with some more hallertau or even some styrian goldings...I haven't really decided. Idecided to go with FWHing the cluster because I did an all cluster cream ale a while back and loved it.

6-row would've been more authentic, but I have about a sack and a half of 2-row, so that's what I used.

Oh, and I used a gallon of distilled + 2 quarts tap water in the cereal mash, tap water in the main mash and a 50/50 blend of tap and distilled for the sparge (single batch sparge, 10" @ 168*).

I ended up with almost exactly 5 gallons of wort after leaving behind hop debris and break material, and the fermentor was at 52* when I checked in on it this morning. So far, so good!

Old 04-04-2011, 03:03 PM   #6
Malticulous
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I'm really liking this one,
http://hopville.com/recipe/466464/cl...es/polenta-cap

It's been lagering a few months and it's about gone. I compared with Urquell and the hops come through better (I've never had a fresh Pilsner Urquell.) It has both higher hop aroma and flavor. Biterness is stronger too, possibly because of the hop stand. It has a bit of a similar maltiness near the finish. I think the long cereal mash and decotion mashout come through. It's a bit more gold in color too. Wy2035 really is a nice yeast. It has character that goes well in the beer. Both my fermenters blew off fermenting this batch.

I've been making pilsners all winter. I'm going to try too keep some on tap all summer too. Even these stronger ones only seem to need 4-6 weeks lagering (my CAP before the current one was 1.068.) I have a few sacks of continental pils ordered so I'm going to be making some more German Pils next.

Old 04-04-2011, 04:55 PM   #7
mpruett
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malticulous View Post
I'm really liking this one,
http://hopville.com/recipe/466464/cl...es/polenta-cap

It's been lagering a few months and it's about gone. I compared with Urquell and the hops come through better (I've never had a fresh Pilsner Urquell.) It has both higher hop aroma and flavor.
Having had fresh Bohemian Pilsners, especially PU, while in Prague, the funny thing is that they're not really hop-forward beers like say, an IPA. The thing that stood out to me was just how well balanced they are when fresh- the malt stands out more (or the hops stand out less) when it's fresh. Hop aroma isn't really there, and the bitterness is just right for the maltiness.

Old 04-05-2011, 11:11 PM   #8
ntempleton
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If you haven't already, go ready Jeff Renner's article on CAP. He's credited (deserved) with revitalizing the style:

http://brewery.org/library/ClassAmPils.html

--
Nic Templeton - Seattle WA

Old 04-05-2011, 11:23 PM   #9
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3706 Times on 2278 Posts
Likes Given: 3209

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntempleton View Post
If you haven't already, go ready Jeff Renner's article on CAP. He's credited (deserved) with revitalizing the style:

http://brewery.org/library/ClassAmPils.html
Hmmm. After reading that... I used the wrong brew schedule then. I went with a 90 minute 148F mash. Gonna be thin no doubt. But my OG was closer to 1.060, so maybe I'll be OK. We'll see.

Old 04-05-2011, 11:36 PM   #10
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 166 Times on 151 Posts
Likes Given: 4

This is the one i'm doing Friday, Bob knows his stuff.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f58/schm...goldter-97553/

-

Quick Reply