Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Clarity Ferm & Whirlfloc

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2012, 02:37 AM   #1
j_dub4t
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Clarity Ferm & Whirlfloc

I have found great success using clarity ferm when creating "gluten free" beers for relatives in the past. I know that its intended purpose is to eliminate chill haze.

Whirlfloc is a clarifying agent. Is there any reason to use both whirlfloc and clarity ferm? I am assuming that whirlfloc will not help chill haze specifically, but am unsure. Is there any advantage to using both? Do their intended purposes overlap at all?

I will be using clarity ferm regardless due to the "gluten-free-ization" qualities, but was wondering if whirlfloc could also provide some sort of benefit also?

On a side note, would anyone see a problem with using fermcap also in this beer? Do any of these additives affect each other negatively?

Thanks ahead of time!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2012, 01:51 AM   #2
moraleslevi
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Currently attempting a batch of "gluten-free" Oatmeal stout using Clarity Ferm. I'm going to take a SWAG on this. I think Whirlfloc and Clarity Ferm serve similar purposes, but use two different methods. Whirlfloc increases wort flocculation which helps solids precipitate out of solution and sink to the bottom, while Clarity Ferm enzymatically breaks down the proteins which ultimately increases the clarity of the brew. Exactly how Clarity Ferm works is beyond me though.

Old 10-25-2012, 04:30 AM   #3
highgravitybacon
Recipes 

Liked 205 Times on 144 Posts
Likes Given: 152

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_dub4t View Post
I have found great success using clarity ferm when creating "gluten free" beers for relatives in the past. I know that its intended purpose is to eliminate chill haze.

Whirlfloc is a clarifying agent. Is there any reason to use both whirlfloc and clarity ferm? I am assuming that whirlfloc will not help chill haze specifically, but am unsure. Is there any advantage to using both? Do their intended purposes overlap at all?

I will be using clarity ferm regardless due to the "gluten-free-ization" qualities, but was wondering if whirlfloc could also provide some sort of benefit also?

On a side note, would anyone see a problem with using fermcap also in this beer? Do any of these additives affect each other negatively?

Thanks ahead of time!
Read the warnings and cautionary statements on fermcap before you use it. I did. That's why I don't use it. Yeah, it's a bit silly to talk about food safety when I'm drinking a substance containing a known toxin, fermented by yeast which produce a greenhouse gas. But whatever. I still won't use it.

Old 01-29-2013, 04:54 AM   #4
AgentHubcap
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 23

bumping this because I'm also interested in the whirlfloc/clarity ferm combo. Also, what about clarity ferm and gelatin?

Old 01-29-2013, 05:01 AM   #5
pwkblue
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default clarity ferm

I've been using clarity ferm in almost all my beers for the last few months. I don't see any reason to use anything to clear the beer. I usually have fairly clear results anyway....but with clarity ferm my beer is crystal clear...the appearance is comparable to filtered commercial beer.

Old 01-29-2013, 05:46 PM   #6
AgentHubcap
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Awesome, thanks! My clarity ferm test is with a stout, so clarity isn't important. Just using it to remove the gluten.

Quick Reply