Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > citrus hops

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2013, 10:06 PM   #1
rstewy2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default citrus hops

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anybody knows of a hop, or hop combination, that I could use to get a citrus-y taste, without getting that grapefruit flavor. I apologize in advance for any hurt feelings, but I'm really getting tired of this whole grapefruity IPA business. Why can't we have orange, tangerine, blood orange, etc. flavors from a hop.

If anyone knows a good way to get what I'm looking for, please share with me. The closest I've come, is by using the lighter hops for the boil and finishing/dryhopping with the more intense ones. But it still isn't quite what I'm aiming for.

(maybe throwing orange peels in secondary could work, but I'm not sure what the oils would do to the head retention.)

Thanks in advance,
-Ryan

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2013, 02:37 AM   #2
EaglePoint
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

No responses? Well, I've heard and tasted good things about Citra hops. While 'grapefruit' is one of the flavor/aroma descriptors of this strain, there are a lot of other descriptors too. I just brewed an IPA with primarily Citra (with a little chinook and centennial). I'll tell you how it is as soon as I unclog my keg...

Also, throwing in orange peels won't hurt your head retention. I believe most wits are brew with orange peel additions. I used an ounce of dehydrated bitter orange peel and the whole peel of a fresh sweet orange in the only wit that I've done, and had good head retention.

Primary : Saison, Barleywine, Barleywine second runnings on Roselare blend
On Deck: Brett L pale

Old 03-23-2013, 02:50 AM   #3
davekippen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 160 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 417

Just did a Citra/Galaxy pale ale that won first place at the local homebrew comp (out of 18 entries). Great sweet citrus fruit but not the nasty bitter grapefruit. Did 50/50 split between the two hops. All late addition, 20, 10, 5, 1 and a dry hop for a week.

Hit me on Untappd https://untappd.com/user/davekippen

Old 03-23-2013, 06:46 AM   #4
Bierliebhaber
Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Yes, Citra will give you citrus. Also, Summit will give you a strong Tangerine flavor under the right circumstances. You won't know if it will give you tangerine or garlic until you taste it. If it gives you garlic, it will likely age into tangerine. Nelson Sauvin gives a citrus/tropical flavor, as do several other New Zealand hops relatively new to the market (Rakau, Pacifica, Southern Cross, Wakatu).

Old 03-23-2013, 02:18 PM   #5
Schumed
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I think Citra is more tropical than citrusy.....cascade is pure citrus

I would only use Citra in you dry hop I'm one of the many people,that get a strange musk taste when using Citra in my boil....FYI

Galaxy is pretty awesome....for fruity....papaya and passion fruit

I've also enjoyed Belma ($5 a pound) I get the slight pineapple and strawberry notes as it ages

"To alcohol! The cause of... and solution to... all of life's problems,"

Old 03-23-2013, 02:24 PM   #6
Transamguy77
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I made a wheat beer last year and used the zest of 4 large navel oranges and added it at 10 and left it in for the whole primary. I made a amirillo and Citra IPA but it had that grapefruit aroma but more citrus flavor turned out nice.

Old 03-23-2013, 02:39 PM   #7
goodgodilovebeer
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I recently brewed an APA that was bittered with Magnum (60mins) and used roughly 28g each of Citra, Centennial, and Cascade at 5mins. Dry hopped with 14g each of the same three (while doing diacetyl rest)...love it!

I find that it has a "richer citrus" flavour profile than using a single hop. I say blend away!

Old 03-23-2013, 02:59 PM   #8
Evan_L
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 62

I've seen pacifica described as orange marmalade. Used them 2 weeks ago so I couldn't say for sure yet.

Old 04-15-2013, 06:26 PM   #9
GetSudz
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan_L View Post
I've seen pacifica described as orange marmalade. Used them 2 weeks ago so I couldn't say for sure yet.
How'd this turn out Evan?

Old 04-22-2013, 04:59 PM   #10
Evan_L
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 62

Pretty good! Definitely a distinct flavor. I bittered with .40 oz magnum and .75oz centennial at 60 (all I had on hand, it was a spur of the moment batch when snow cancelled classes for the day, named it appropriately "snow day IPA"). Used .50oz amarillo at 15, 1oz pacifica at 10, 1oz citra at 7, .50oz amarillo at 2.

93% MO, 3% C40, 2% C120. Mashed at 152*. The amarillo didn't produce much of the grapefruit flavor which is nice, the citra was a bit overbearing with the pacifica though, might try moteuka or cascade next time. pitched a 1056 slurry, might try london ale next time for some fruitiness. Overall, I liked it a lot, from the pacifica I got a nice, soft, orangey flavor, not as strong as i had hoped, but the citra really showed it up. Will definitely use these hops again, but with more forethought to balancing the other varieties with it.

Quick Reply