LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2011, 04:39 AM   #1
CrystalShip
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default Citra pale ale

So I went on a trip to Chicago a few weeks ago to visit friends and drive up to green bay to watch my Bucs get beat up.... While I was there, I had the pleasure of tasting a delicious treat called zombie dust by three floyds. We then went and toured the brewery and I asked them how they make it...

This is MY version, I wanted a bit more bitterness.

10lbs 2row
1lb Munich
.5 lb carapils
.5 lb crystal 40

Mashed at 152F for an hour then a 60 min boil

1 ounce citra pellet first wort hopped
.5 ounce citra pellet at 15 min
1 ounce citra whole at about 8 min
1 ounce citra whole at 1 min

I'm not sure what my gravity was because as I was shaking the sanitizer off my hydrometer I accidentally threw it at the ground! I'm also going to dry hop it with an ounce of citra... Hopefully that will be enough. What do you guys think of the recipe?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2011, 05:33 AM   #2
jheld00
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Looks like a great recipe! I've done a few recipes pretty close to that except with crystal 60. Citra is very a very fun hop to play with. I love the aroma I personally get a ton of mango from it mixed with a little orange, grapefruit, passion fruit, and a hint of pomegranate. I have dry hopped a few times with 2oz of Citra for 9 days and wow the aroma is insane. Recently I dry hopped a batch with 3/4oz Amarillo and 3/4oz Citra. Those two go wonderfully together(one of my new favorite dry hop combos). But if you want to show off the Citra I'd go with 1.5oz for a week or so(1oz would do the job if that's all you have).

Old 12-06-2011, 06:49 AM   #3
tesilential
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jheld00 View Post
Looks like a great recipe! I've done a few recipes pretty close to that except with crystal 60. Citra is very a very fun hop to play with. I love the aroma I personally get a ton of mango from it mixed with a little orange, grapefruit, passion fruit, and a hint of pomegranate. I have dry hopped a few times with 2oz of Citra for 9 days and wow the aroma is insane. Recently I dry hopped a batch with 3/4oz Amarillo and 3/4oz Citra. Those two go wonderfully together(one of my new favorite dry hop combos). But if you want to show off the Citra I'd go with 1.5oz for a week or so(1oz would do the job if that's all you have).
Do you dry hop in primary/secondary or in the keg? I've been doing the keg and leaving them in until it kicks, but I've found the hop aroma kinda goes south after 10-14 days. it's still good but it's not the crisp floral aroma you get from 7 days of dry hopping. I'm thinking about removing my dry hops after 7-9 days, but I'm kinda worried the aroma will fade even faster once they are gone.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:33 AM   #4
jheld00
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

As of late I've been racking from the primary to a keg. Then I dry hop in the keg(at room temp). I sanitize some shot glasses put them in sanitized panty hose with the hops after a week I pull them out and carb. I retain a pretty good aroma for 2 1/2 weeks or so. I also have been dry hopping in the primary which works really well. I was all about dry hopping in a carboy before but it is way to much extra work for no real added gain unless you like cleaning extra equipment.(also the added time the beer sits on the yeast really helps clean it up IMO)

Old 12-07-2011, 03:06 AM   #5
CrystalShip
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Yea all I have is an ounce of citra left.. I might be able to get more if you think it will really make that big of a difference. You are definitely right about the passionfruit, when I drank zombiedust that is all I tasted

Old 12-08-2011, 05:17 PM   #6
jheld00
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalShip
Yea all I have is an ounce of citra left.. I might be able to get more if you think it will really make that big of a difference. You are definitely right about the passionfruit, when I drank zombiedust that is all I tasted
An ounce would do it for sure, but if you want that insane Citra aroma go with two if you can get ahold of it. Either way it's gonna be awesome. Cheers

Old 12-08-2011, 05:44 PM   #7
BrewThruYou
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Looks good. Better than a lot of the recipes I see on here with 3lbs of crystal in a pale ale.

Old 12-09-2011, 12:04 AM   #8
skeezerpleezer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 21 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 337 Times on 187 Posts

I am a big fan of citra and zombie dust. I think you will end up light on color, and probably need a lot more flavor/aroma hops to duplicate the hop punch of ZD. I would do at least 2 oz of dry hops for 7-10 days.
Here is my attempt(s) at cloning zombie dust: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/3-fl...56/index9.html

Not an exact clone, but damn close and really good. The S-04 turned out closer to the real thing. The S-05 had more bitter character, probably due to the lower final gravity. I added tasting notes somewhere around post #135. I plan to do it again in the next few weeks, but I have a few others to brew 1st.

Old 12-09-2011, 12:15 AM   #9
Keffa
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The S-04 turned out well since Three Floyds supposedly uses an ESB strain for it, where S-04 is more English in character than -05.

That said, ZD is an incredible beer, and even if all you make is a Citra Pale Ale instead of a ZD clone, you shouldn't be disappointed.

Old 12-09-2011, 12:20 AM   #10
skeezerpleezer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 21 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 337 Times on 187 Posts

I agree. I have a pack of Wyeast 1968 London ESB in my fridge to try on my next one.

Quick Reply