Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Cigar City Tocobaga Red Ale Recipe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2013, 06:01 PM   #11
bulldogbrewhaus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

I believe CCB switched over to Wyeast 1968 in the last couple years FWIW. The 1275 was their old house yeast so probably either would be fine. I calculate 1.14 oz on the dry hop, but I'm thinkin that seems low for our purposes. Its possible that they do multiple additions of that quantity as they do with the Jai Alai. Really like where this is headed though, good work. How did you get that picture without getting your hand chopped off?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2013, 11:08 PM   #12
FLBrew
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 3 Posts

Yeah I thought the tour guide may say something. But got away with it. Also have a pic of their carb rates. So this is what I have so far.

image-869967651.jpg   image-2853519724.jpg  

Old 08-06-2013, 12:27 PM   #13
bulldogbrewhaus
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

I think that 4lbs of munich and vienna is probably a bit too much. Its also a 90 minute boil so that will affect the color as well. I might try something like this.

90min boil
OG 1.080
FG 1.025

9lbs-2-row
2.25lbs-munich
2.25lbs-vienna
1lb-60l
.25lb-pale chocolate

Wyeast 1968-London ESB

.5oz Columbus @60min
.75oz Centennial @30min
1oz Amarillo @15min
1oz Cascade @15min
1oz Amarillo @5min
1oz Citra @5min
2oz Citra dry hop for 7 days

@ 75% efficiency that give us the 7.2% abv that the CCB website calls for. The IBUs come in at 76 (CCB website calls for 75). Color is a couple shades too dark, I will work on that and the hop schedule as we go along. You could certainly add some hops at flameout to increase your aroma. I chose 2oz of citra for the dry hop simply because if I have to buy 2oz of citra I might as well use it. Lemme know what you think and we can make some adjustments.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:23 PM   #14
FLBrew
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 3 Posts

This looks like a good place to start. Maybe I'll send a copy to Tim and just ask if anything stands out that he would change. Then I'll get to brewing. I'll def send a couple bottles to you to try. Thanks for the help.

Old 08-06-2013, 08:30 PM   #15
FLBrew
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 3 Posts

That was a quick response.

Looks like its time to try it. Now I just need the time. Doesn't look good through the next 3 weeks.

image-1134935935.jpg  

Old 08-07-2013, 01:25 AM   #16
FLBrew
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogbrewhaus
I think that 4lbs of munich and vienna is probably a bit too much. Its also a 90 minute boil so that will affect the color as well. I might try something like this.

90min boil
OG 1.080
FG 1.025

9lbs-2-row
2.25lbs-munich
2.25lbs-vienna
1lb-60l
.25lb-pale chocolate

Wyeast 1968-London ESB

.5oz Columbus @60min
.75oz Centennial @30min
1oz Amarillo @15min
1oz Cascade @15min
1oz Amarillo @5min
1oz Citra @5min
2oz Citra dry hop for 7 days

@ 75% efficiency that give us the 7.2% abv that the CCB website calls for. The IBUs come in at 76 (CCB website calls for 75). Color is a couple shades too dark, I will work on that and the hop schedule as we go along. You could certainly add some hops at flameout to increase your aroma. I chose 2oz of citra for the dry hop simply because if I have to buy 2oz of citra I might as well use it. Lemme know what you think and we can make some adjustments.
Ok after I entered your numbers into beersmith, I was falling short on IBU's and over on srm. This is what I have after making some adjustments. I may have to alter the hops if the AA's are different when I purchase them. But this gives us right OG, IBU and SRM.
image-2937864822.jpg   image-2237302240.jpg  

Old 08-07-2013, 01:26 AM   #17
FLBrew
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 3 Posts

Actually a little short on IBU but I think it will be ok.

Old 08-07-2013, 11:34 AM   #18
bulldogbrewhaus
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

I think we are starting to get somewhere with this one. I knew I was a little off on the color and hops, your adjustments look good. I think you could probably use a little more chocolate malt if you go for the pale chocolate vs. the regular. The color difference is fairly significant. Good work all around, the guys at CCB are really cool. I had the pleasure of visiting the brewery in May, you are fortunate to live close. I might have time to brew this in the next couple weeks. Cheers.

Old 08-09-2013, 06:14 AM   #19
tjohn
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Haven't posted on this thread for a while but that recipe looks like a great start to me. I visited back in May also and loved this beer. I recall it being very drinkable and I didn't get much of that malt backbone you'll find in some reds so 2lbs on vienna and munich should be spot on. The main thing I remember was huge citra aroma and flavor. Can't wait to hear how this turns out. I cloned their maduro brown (another on of their great beers) back in Jan, Wayne helped me out with the ingredients and I figured out the % of each. The beer was pretty spot on all around, let me know if anyone is interested in trying out that recipe as well.

Old 08-09-2013, 12:30 PM   #20
FLBrew
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjohn
Haven't posted on this thread for a while but that recipe looks like a great start to me. I visited back in May also and loved this beer. I recall it being very drinkable and I didn't get much of that malt backbone you'll find in some reds so 2lbs on vienna and munich should be spot on. The main thing I remember was huge citra aroma and flavor. Can't wait to hear how this turns out. I cloned their maduro brown (another on of their great beers) back in Jan, Wayne helped me out with the ingredients and I figured out the % of each. The beer was pretty spot on all around, let me know if anyone is interested in trying out that recipe as well.
Yes, I would definitely like the Maduro clone recipe. That's another on of my favorites. Maybe I'll split the batch and try their vanilla Maduro too!

Quick Reply