Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Cigar City Tocobaga Red Ale Recipe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2013, 09:23 PM   #1
FLBrew
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 3 Posts

Default Cigar City Tocobaga Red Ale Recipe

Has anyone come across any info on this recipe? It's a great hoppy red. I'm interested in making it but haven't been able to find any suggestion on where to start.

http://www.cigarcitybrewing.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=36&Itemid=33

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2013, 01:57 AM   #2
tjohn
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

email Wayne the head brewer down there, he's usually pretty willing to help out with recipes.

wayne@cigarcitybrewing.com

Old 07-16-2013, 02:00 AM   #3
FLBrew
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks.

Old 07-16-2013, 02:02 AM   #4
tjohn
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

No problem, if you come up with a recipe post it. I'd love to try and clone that one, its a great beer.

Old 07-16-2013, 03:48 AM   #5
FLBrew
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjohn
No problem, if you come up with a recipe post it. I'd love to try and clone that one, its a great beer.
Will do. I've already sent the email.

Old 07-18-2013, 02:14 AM   #6
FLBrew
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 3 Posts

This what I got through email tonight:

Thanks for your interest but I did not write that recipe.

I have copied Tim Ogden, the brewer that designed and developed the recipe of which you speak.

I will leave it up to him to share the recipe or give you tips on the production of this most excellent beer.

Cheers,
Wayne Wambles
Brewmaster
Cigar City Brewing
wayne@cigarcitybrewing.com

Old 07-18-2013, 03:37 PM   #7
bulldogbrewhaus
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Hope he is willing to throw a couple tips our way because Tocobaga is a great beer. I spent alot of time working on a Jai Alai clone, so this piqued my interest for sure. CCB is the tits, I wish they distributed here in VA. I did have the pleasure of visiting CCB and doing a tour back in May (it was awesome). Their tap list is the size of a menu at a greasy spoon diner. Interesting that its not Waynes recipe.

Old 08-01-2013, 01:35 PM   #8
FLBrew
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 3 Posts

I got a response from Tim Ogden, who developed the recipe.

Brandon

Sorry for the delayed response.

Homebrewing has always been about experimentation to me, this is where the most learning comes. Recipes are only a part of the equation. So I will give you the complete concept and hope you find a playground to work with to make a beer you very much enjoy.

The OG of this beer falls in the dead zone in the world beer cup guidelines between American Amber and Imperial Red/ Amber. The IBUs land squarely in the center of the imperial style. The Hops are American, with a clean bittering hop, grassy floral hops at 30 minutes, dank and tropical hops at whirlpool, and heavy amounts between 30 and wp. Most of the IBUs are from late hopping. Also dry hopped with citra.

The grist uses 2 row barley and heavy amounts of munich and Vienna malt, a clean caramel 60L, and some chocolate for color. I boil 90 minutes to develop color.

Ferment on the cool side with an English ale yeast, and aerate modestly.

I hope you find this info useful, both in brewing a beer you are proud of and in honing your skills in recipe formulation. Please feel free to contact me with any further questions.

Cheers!
-tim

Old 08-01-2013, 01:43 PM   #9
FLBrew
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 3 Posts

With this info, the info on the brewery website and some other various discoveries, I'm working on developing a recipe. It will be my first attempt at designing so any feedback will be appreciated. I have most of it done just working on finishing hop selection and schedule. I know from a previous brewing network podcast that CCB uses the wyeast Thames Valley strain for their house yeast. So I assume that would be a good one try. Also found a dry hop schedule in the brewery during a tour. I'll post my attempt soon.

image-2053882307.jpg  

Old 08-01-2013, 01:45 PM   #10
FLBrew
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLBrew
With this info, the info on the brewery website and some other various discoveries, I'm working on developing a recipe. It will be my first attempt at designing so any feedback will be appreciated. I have most of it done just working on finishing hop selection and schedule. I know from a previous brewing network podcast that CCB uses the wyeast Thames Valley strain for their house yeast. So I assume that would be a good one try. Also found a dry hop schedule in the brewery during a tour. I'll post my attempt soon.
According to my calc. Comes out to 1.25 oz. of Citra for dry hop.

Quick Reply