Christmas Stout Idea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jebu1788

Reaction score
So I've been toying with an idea to brew a big stout now, and let it age for Christmas time. I don't want to go overboard on the size of this thing, as it is for my mother, but still should be big enough to hold up well under a few months of ageing.

What do you think of this (5-gallons):

12 lbs 2-row
1 lb Crystal 80L
1 lb Flaked Oats
8 oz Special B
6 oz Chocolate Malt
6 oz Roasted Barley
6 oz Carafa II

Mash at 152. Sparge 170.

1oz Warrior- 60min
1oz Willamette- 20min
1oz Willamette- 5min

US-05 Dry yeast

OG: 1.084 at 75% efficiency, IBUs: 53-ish, SRM: 43

I was also considering adding a bit of rye, after having a version of r2eng's Double-W Imperial Stout a friend brewed up (damn good stuff). I'm just not sure if that would go with the oatmeal or if it would add a harshness to it that would be too much.

maybe add some mint, or vanilla, or lightly spiced since its a christmas stout

I thought about adding fruit like raspberries or spices, but I think I'm going to stay away from adding spices. I guess by Christmas stout I meant it only in the time I want it to be ready for. Although, on second thought, the vanilla sounds like it could be a nice touch. Would one split bean be the right amount?

I'm hoping for some feedback on the recipe, as I've never done a big dark beer before.

Weird, I was planning on upping the alcohol in the stout I'm brewing your mother.

I keed I keed. Stout looks good, maybe throw a couple pounds of munich or vienna in there for a little more complexity?

Licorice Root might be a nice change of pace for this one......I currently have a 1.095 OG stout that has been aging for 3 months...i will bottle a month before xmas and let the fun begin.

Ouch, HokieBrewer. That's not too nice...

But yeah, I like the idea of Munich or Vienna malt.

Latest posts

Back