New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Christmas Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2004, 12:45 AM   #1
sweepking
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Christmas Ale

It was brew day for me today, and my Christmas Ale is fermenting now. I used the Christmas Ale 2002 recipe from Mr. Beer with a few changes. Anyone else here doing a Christmas brew? I enjoyed some of my pumpkin porter while I prepared this one.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2013, 09:38 PM   #2
gadfly_dan
Recipes 

Default evergreen ale

I'm working on a recipe utilizing dried spruce needles harvested earlier this year. I've seen a number of recipes using spruce tips but was unable to acquire any in the spring time so I'm stuck with more mature needles--dried and collected as they fall off the branch.

The idea came after getting hooked on pine-needle tea while camping this summer. I saw Bear Grills steep a sprig of pine in hot water on Man vs. Wild and figured it was worth trying. Liked the result and figured, why not in my brew?

I added half an oz. to a small beer collected as second runnings from an Imperial Stout a brewed a few weeks back. The result is a dark brown ale that boiled down to an original gravity of around 1.050 including half a pound of dark sugar. I bottled yesterday and was pleased with the preliminary result but think I will bump up the amount of pine with my final batch.
Before I brew the final version I'm going to try to make an extract out of some of the pine needles by steeping them in vodka.

On a completely different note, word of warning--do not use clove in brewing. It's a typical Christmas spice, but it's also a good local anesthetic and renders your taste buds useless. Learned this the hard way with a brew a buddy and I made years ago. It tasted great the first swig and then you couldn't really taste anything besides a vague metallic sort of blah.

Old 11-05-2013, 06:45 PM   #3
tennesseean_87
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 105

You should create new threads to post something like this rather than resurrecting one that is 9 years old. Just sayin'...

#8 Corks in Belgian Bottles Hold Carbonation
Increasing Pipeline Diversity
On Deck: Hefeweizen yeast experiment with 3068, T-58, and 3711
Youtube Chanel on Pipe Smoking

Old 11-09-2013, 07:43 PM   #4
gadfly_dan
Recipes 

Default derp...

yeah, my bad on that--completely forgot to check the date stamp on the OP.

Quick Reply