The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > choosing between 3 yeast.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2009, 02:35 AM   #1
Stubbs5150
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default choosing between 3 yeast.

Im brewing soon using a grain bill for a wit beer spicing with coriander and bitter orange. my question is i have three yeasts at home to choose from. Wyeast 1272, white labs 380 hefe 4, and safale wb 06. i was looking for something close to a wit for the summer, or that would let the spice come out. Would the hefe yeast flavors over power the spice? is 1272 gonna leave me with a clean ale? Any thoughts.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2009, 02:44 AM   #2
greenbirds
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I did a Bavarian Hefe [attempt] with wb-06, and it did not produce the distinctive banana flavors I was looking for, but I did get some clove spiciness. Therefore, along with that flavor, it may serve you well given your added spices, especially if you're looking for simplicity, since it's dry. I have no experience with the other two yeasts.

Old 04-15-2009, 11:30 AM   #3
flyangler18
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Not one of those yeast strains are appropriate for a wit, in my opinion. I like WLP400, WY3944 and WY3463.

Last edited by flyangler18; 04-15-2009 at 11:35 AM.

Old 04-15-2009, 12:23 PM   #4
beerocd
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Hefe 4 is strong and spicy - great for a hefe. If it were me, I'd leave out the coriander and orange from the wit to ferment with the Hefe 4. That's if you have to brew with what you have; obviously best option would be to obtain the right yeast to make sure you get the beer you want/expect.

-OCD

Due to recent economic crisis, stock market crash, budget cuts, and the rising cost of everything including taxes: "The Light at the End of The Tunnel" has been turned off.

Old 04-15-2009, 05:01 PM   #5
Freezeblade
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 13 Posts

wit is not a hefe, I'd use WLP400, or, in leau of that, culture up some yeast from a hoegaarden, should be the same strain as the WlP400

Aging:Public House Dry Stout, Procrastination Porter, Mr. Brown Ale, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Mead, Duvel Clone, Graham's English Cider 6-21, Belgian Draak Strong Ale, Fig Melomel, Acerglyn, Restorative Tonic Metheglyn

Old 04-15-2009, 08:51 PM   #6
beerocd
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freezeblade View Post
wit is not a hefe, I'd use WLP400, or, in leau of that, culture up some yeast from a hoegaarden, should be the same strain as the WlP400
Is hoegaarden a good bottle to culture from? Fermenting strain?

-OCD

Due to recent economic crisis, stock market crash, budget cuts, and the rising cost of everything including taxes: "The Light at the End of The Tunnel" has been turned off.

Last edited by beerocd; 04-15-2009 at 08:54 PM.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:05 PM   #7
cuinrearview
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Not sure if you're in MI Stubbs, but I have some freshly washed WLP400 that I'd donate to the cause if you can make starters.

And beerocd, hoegaarden is the measuring stick for wits, so I'd say that the yeast in there would be a good one to culture. I think that WLP400 is the same strain though.

Looking forward to brewing some beer

Old 04-16-2009, 03:30 AM   #8
beerocd
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuinrearview View Post
And beerocd, hoegaarden is the measuring stick for wits, so I'd say that the yeast in there would be a good one to culture. I think that WLP400 is the same strain though.
I get that. I get that a wit is unmalted wheat and hefe is malted wheat. I get that Hefe yeast doesn't make it a Wit and they are not interchangeable. I answered the OP's simple question within his parameters; going out and buying yeast wasn't an option and neither was taking a week to culture yeast from beer that would cost him about as much as buying the yeast in the first place.

I then asked a separate simple question: Is the yeast in the bottle the fermenting strain?

-OCD

I find condescension irritating.

Old 04-17-2009, 01:05 AM   #9
Stubbs5150
Recipes 

fella's. thanks for the input... lets just say i'm not brewing a wit....i brewed 10 gallons with the spices. split the wort into two carboys..one with 1272 fermenting at 68 and one with fermentis wb o6 wheat yeast fermenting at 60 degrees. and will just see what happens. BUT, the next time i will plan better and get a wit yeast. Does anyone know if new belgiums mothership wit bottle yeast is something u can culture?

Quick Reply