New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Chocolate Stout, with some peppers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2009, 07:13 PM   #1
avibayer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Chocolate Stout, with some peppers

I brewed up my first stout a few months back, and fell in love with it. the recipe was from stagstout, and it was pretty great (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/critique-my-recipe-128466/). I have been brewing for a while now and am feeling a bit more ambitious. I was thinkng:

8 lbs mariss otter
1 lbs veinna
1 lbs roasted
1 lbs cholcolate
0.5 lbs crystal 40

w/ 2 oz williamette , irish ale yeast, mash @ 154 for an hour.

dry hop either jalepenos or habeneros. no clue how much for a five gallong batch.

I did not find the lb of roast to be anything but wonderful. I just want to make it have a lot more chocolate flavor, with a spicy kick. been reading a bunch of posts saying for a chocolate stout, adding coco powder to the boil, and then balancing it with extra sugar. I don't understand this, and was hoping for some feedback, and recipe critique.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2009, 07:23 PM   #2
SevenFields
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have been wanting to do a Chocolate stout with a spicy kick for awhile.
I will be watching this thread for advice.
I have been thinking about just adding cayenne pepper(not sure how much) at flame out?

Tap 1: DFH Pumpkin
Tap 2: Amber
Primary 1: Nut Brown Ale
Primary 2:
Secondary: Imperial Pumpkin
Bottled: American Barleywine
On Deck: Pecan Brown Ale

Old 11-28-2009, 07:44 PM   #3
JuanMoore
SACD

Recipes 

Liked 3179 Times on 3087 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I was excited when I heard about the chocolate and chiles in Dogfish Head's Theobroma, and a little dissapointed that the flavors were so subdued, so I'll be watching this thread too. I'd think that adding the peppers to the boil in the last 10-15 min would be a better/safer way to do it, but I don't really know. I would guess that it would be hard to control the spiciness if they were dry-hopped, and raw peppers are covered in wild yeasts also.

Old 11-28-2009, 09:13 PM   #4
avibayer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanMoore View Post
I was excited when I heard about the chocolate and chiles in Dogfish Head's Theobroma, and a little dissapointed that the flavors were so subdued, so I'll be watching this thread too. I'd think that adding the peppers to the boil in the last 10-15 min would be a better/safer way to do it, but I don't really know. I would guess that it would be hard to control the spiciness if they were dry-hopped, and raw peppers are covered in wild yeasts also.
part of the inspiration for this beer comes from the roots brewery in portland oregon. They have a chocolate habanero stout that i fell in love with. on their site they talk about dry hopping 100 chopped habaneros. I imagine they must steam them first or something similar to wash off the microbes. But a boil addition sounds easier to me, and i think your right, it might be easier to control that way.

Old 11-30-2009, 07:24 PM   #5
Oldsock
Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 41

A week ago I added half an Ancho and half a Guajillo to one gallon of chocolate stout. They are both dried and lower on the heat index, that way you can get more chile flavor with your heat. I also added half a vanilla bean and a touch of cinnamon to give it a real Mexican chocolate vibe. Pulled a sample on Saturday, but I won't really know the results until after it carbonates.

Another option is a pepper called the chocolate habanero, I was just up at Bullfrog brewing and the brewers thought their Holy Mole (a blend of smoked porter and Quad with the a couple of the peppers in a keg) was one of the best beers they had ever done (sadly it kicked before I arrived).

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation (cheese, bread, ginger beer plant, and of course plenty of funky beer).

Old 11-30-2009, 10:55 PM   #6
avibayer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsock View Post
A week ago I added half an Ancho and half a Guajillo to one gallon of chocolate stout. They are both dried and lower on the heat index, that way you can get more chile flavor with your heat. I also added half a vanilla bean and a touch of cinnamon to give it a real Mexican chocolate vibe. Pulled a sample on Saturday, but I won't really know the results until after it carbonates.

Another option is a pepper called the chocolate habanero, I was just up at Bullfrog brewing and the brewers thought their Holy Mole (a blend of smoked porter and Quad with the a couple of the peppers in a keg) was one of the best beers they had ever done (sadly it kicked before I arrived).
what was your chocolate stout recipe? any suggestions about the one i posted above?

i like the idea of the vanilla bean, but i am not a fan of cinnamon. when did you add your vanilla/cinnamon/peppers?

look forward to hearing how this turns out.

Old 12-01-2009, 01:18 PM   #7
Oldsock
Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by avibayer View Post
what was your chocolate stout recipe? any suggestions about the one i posted above?

i like the idea of the vanilla bean, but i am not a fan of cinnamon. when did you add your vanilla/cinnamon/peppers?

look forward to hearing how this turns out.
It was based on a Breakfast Stout clone from BYO (posted here awhile back):

http://madfermentationist.blogspot.com/2009/11/breakfast-stout-riff.html

The "extras" were added when I racked to secondary after two weeks in primary. After another two weeks I'll bottle.

Your recipe looks fine, athough I might back down on the chocolate/roast since you will be adding to those flavors with the chocolate. Good luck.

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation (cheese, bread, ginger beer plant, and of course plenty of funky beer).

Last edited by Oldsock; 12-01-2009 at 01:21 PM.

Old 12-15-2009, 12:08 AM   #8
avibayer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Heres what i ended up brewing:
8 lbs Marris Otter
1 lbs vienna
1 lbs roasted barley
1.5 lbs chocolate
.5 lbs flaked wheat
.5 lbs crystal 60L

mashed at 154-144. new floating thermometer, and i read the initial temp at 170, doughed in, and it dropped to 154. I had my head in a text book, it being finals week, and when i checked it an hour later, saw the temp at 144. Sparged with 180, which cooled a lot through the sparge process.

then it started to rain

then ran out of propane a half hour into the boil. moved everything inside, where it took my stove top three hours to get to a boil.

2 oz of williamette for 60~180? the boil was not consistent

OG: 1.068. will let sit in primary for two weeks, then secondary for three weeks with some chili peppers. still not sure which ones yet. open to suggestions.

Quick Reply