Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Chocolate Stout Recipe?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2012, 02:53 PM   #1
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2136 Times on 1529 Posts
Likes Given: 1172

Default Chocolate Stout Recipe?

My wife thinks she wants a Chocolate Stout. The more Chocolate, the better! Now I'm not convinced she will actually drink it, so I've bought a few bottles of different brands to check her taste buds. She remembers having one or two samples at a beer festival before.

So yesterday I cracked a Brooklyn Brewing Dark Chocolate Stout and let her try it. She said it was too bitter. I liked it, but there wasn't as much "chocolate" flavor as I've had before.

I think she had an Imperial Stout before, but I can't remember which brewery made it. I am sure it was a Michigan brewery.

At any rate, I'm looking for a recipe with a ton of chocolate. I'm sure that even if she doesn't end up liking it (She has a habit of liking a beer for about 4 swallows) I will still drink it or I can give it away to some guys at work. It's got to be low on bitterness, but I'd like it to be fairly high ABV. And creamy. I'm thinking some oatmeal for silkiness.

So a Double Chocolate Oatmeal Stout! Anybody got one, or can help build one? BrewerinBR I KNOW you got some ideas!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2012, 02:56 PM   #2
KingKlong
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Terrapin's Moo Hoo is very good. It's a milk chocolate stout just above 6% IIRC. Maybe let her try one of those, or something similar. It's not at all bitter. At least thats my opinion.

Old 05-14-2012, 03:02 PM   #3
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

I don't know if I can get there here. Maybe if I can get to Grand Rapids soon. I didn't think the Brooklyn Stout was much bitter, but my wife doesn't even like real coffee, soo...

Old 05-14-2012, 03:05 PM   #4
KingKlong
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 23

haha. my wife is the same way. her beers of choice are wheats, lagers and ciders. has yours tried Young's double chocolate?

Old 05-14-2012, 03:06 PM   #5
jetmac
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Maybe tweak a BB DCS clone to add more chocolate. Or maybe lower the amount of bittering hops. You also might be able to use 50% or more RO water to mellow the bitterness or adjust the water profile. I've had it on tap and bottled, off the tap I thought tasted better with more chocolate flavor.

I dislike Young's

Wayne Gretzky-"100% of the shots you don't take, don't go in

Revvy>>You shouldn't worry about ANYTHING, you didn't hurt the yeast, they know what they need to do, they want to eat all that sugar they are swimming around in. They want to pee alcohol and fart co2, it's their nature.

Bobby_M>>I flood the keg with CO2 for one minute with the lid off, rack the beer in to the bottom gently, seal it, flood it, vent it. If there's still O2 in there after that, F it.

Old 05-14-2012, 03:06 PM   #6
Steelie211
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I don't know if you tried the Southern Tier Choklat. This is an imperial Stout 10% but has tons of chocolate flavor.

Old 05-14-2012, 03:24 PM   #7
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKlong View Post
haha. my wife is the same way. her beers of choice are wheats, lagers and ciders. has yours tried Young's double chocolate?
My wife's favorite styles are Mountain Dew and ... Mountain Dew...

Seriously, I've had her try a few of my lighter beers and she likes the first few tastes and then I finish it for her. She is slowly getting used to coffee. She likes the cappuccino coffees from the gas station but a Premium Roast coffee from McDonalds would probably make her gag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelie211 View Post
I don't know if you tried the Southern Tier Choklat. This is an imperial Stout 10% but has tons of chocolate flavor.
That sounds good! I know Siciliano's Market in GR has than one. I've seen 750s of it recently.

Well what kind of chocolate do I use and when/how do I use it? I've never done chocolate before.

Old 05-14-2012, 06:14 PM   #8
djfriesen
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I usually do cocoa powder, either in the boil (this might lend too much bitterness for her) or at bottling, to taste. If you want the chocolate flavor without all the bitterness, you might want to just use a chocolate milk mix, rather than straight cocoa powder. I haven't done this, and haven't checked the ingredients list, but I imagine there's some maltose in there, that would likely lend a little extra body, too. I would definitely use some oats for smoothness.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:38 PM   #9
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 272 Times on 238 Posts
Likes Given: 324

I just made an awesome chocolate milk stout (chocolate stout based on a "sweet stout" with lactose). I haven't got scores back from comps yet, but it's a little outside of style on sweetness, but that makes it an incredible dessert beer. It's not "imperial" but it's a moderate to moderate-high abv, just very sweet and super chocolaty with a great balance of roasted malt flavors. It uses cocoa powder in the boil and secondary with cacao nibs and vanilla beans. Having made it once, I have some tweaks I'll be making for my own personal taste, but I'm happy to post both versions here if you're interested.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 05-14-2012, 10:49 PM   #10
Krazykripple
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

i'd love to see your recipe daksin. i'm going to brew a choc stout soon and i just want to nail down the recipe

Quick Reply