Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Chocolate Stout Help

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2008, 06:09 AM   #1
czeknere
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Chocolate Stout Help

Today I received the ingredients for a chocolate stout recipe I formulated. After going through all of the stock, I'm starting to think I over did it. I did a lot of research and used the Homebrew Formulator software as a guide, but I'm worried that it's just not going to turn out as good as I want it (this is only the second recipe I've formulated and I'm still trying to get a hang of it). I'm hoping I can get some advice, so I'm posting the recipe below. Still not sure which way I'm going to go as far as adding the chocolate so I'm leaving that part out for now, here is the base recipe:

Extract with Grains:

5# Dark DME
1# Extra dark DME
1# Crystal 120
1# Roasted Barley
1/2# chocolate malt
1/2# Carapils
1 # Lactose

1 oz Goldings - 60 min
.75 oz Goldings - 30 min
.5 oz Fuggles - 5 min

White labs WLP004 - Irish Ale Yeast

I know the ABV is coming out a bit high for the style (7.3 %) and I'm okay with that. I feel that the I.B.U. is at a good place and the S.R.M. is okay as well. Like I said, I'm just concerned that I overdid it with the grains and the whole thing is going to become a muddled mess. Any advice on what I can cut back on/add more of? I already have all the ingredients, but it wouldn't be difficult to cut back or add something if I needed to.

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2008, 06:43 AM   #2
Nurmey
I love making Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 6

When I do extract I always use light DME so I'm not sure what the dark will be like. It looks like a nice stout recipe, however, I see one little thing.

I would reduce the roasted barley down to 1/2 or even 1/4 pound. I think the flavor is going to be way too strong using a pound.

Old 11-26-2008, 06:54 AM   #3
czeknere
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurmey View Post
I would reduce the roasted barley down to 1/2 or even 1/4 pound. I think the flavor is going to be way too strong using a pound.
That's kind of what I was thinking too. But the software was suggesting 10-12% of roasted barley - 1 pound would put it at exactly 10%, perhaps I should just ignore the software on this one?

Old 11-26-2008, 07:05 AM   #4
Nurmey
I love making Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Roasted barley has that same harsh flavor to me as strong black coffee so I tend to use it sparingly. I don't think I've ever used more than 1/4 lb in a recipe but that's just my own prejudices. The lactose may off set some of the roasted barley flavor, I'm not sure. I'm sure some other opinions will be thrown in here soon.

Old 11-26-2008, 06:35 PM   #5
czeknere
Recipes 

Any other thoughts?

Old 11-26-2008, 06:52 PM   #6
Gordie
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 7 Posts

Agreed. That's a lot of roast barley for a 5g recipe. I'd probably half the roast barley too. Also, you may want to think about ditching the late hop addition. Most stout's can do well with a single bittering addition. But that's kind of a personal preference thing.

Old 11-26-2008, 07:10 PM   #7
Kugster

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just did a chocolate stout this past weekend myself. I really don't think you over did it. Here is my recipe:
3# amber DME
4.5# DLME
.5# black patent
.5# American choc.
.5# roasted barley
.5# special B
.5# cara-pils
then I added chocolate extract, vanilla ext & cocoa powder (unsweetened)

I think it came out smellin really nice. I compiled a few recipes to make this. Then again this is my first stout too. Try it...you might like it. If not, try again.

Drinking..........Beer
Primary 1
Primary 2
Secondary 1....Blackeye IIPA
Secondary 2........Mikita's BB Wheat
Conditioning.....
Tap 1.............Spooky's Stout
Tap 2.............Rico's Red

DogBone Brewery

If you get confused listen to the music play! - Robert Hunter

Old 11-26-2008, 10:50 PM   #8
telemarc
Recipes 

How much cocoa powder did you add? I assume it's unsweetened. Did you add it to the boil?

Old 11-27-2008, 06:23 AM   #9
czeknere
Recipes 

Thanks for the advice, I'll be cutting the roasted barley back to .5, still thinking about the hop idea. Also, like I mentioned in my original post, I'm still not sure how I want to add the chocolate. I've looked into a couple of ideas and I'm not trying to make this an "adding chocolate to beer" thread. But I'm wondering, what have you guys found gives you the best results personally? I'm not looking for an overwhelming chocolate punch, but a nice round flavor. I figure the lactose will be giving me a good deal of sweetness, but still want that nice round chocolate. So what do you guys consider the best way?

Old 11-28-2008, 03:20 PM   #10
fratermus
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by telemarc View Post
How much cocoa powder did you add? I assume it's unsweetened. Did you add it to the boil?

That's what I was wondering. I just did a BYO Young's clone, which wanted IIRC 6oz (!) of unsweetened cocoa in the boil, and 2oz of choc extract in the secondary. The extract was hard to find, finally mailordere it from a boutique. I was thinking of adding 1 fl oz of vanilla extract in the secondary.

Batch history | yeast slants | Suspending yeast

Quick Reply