Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Chocolate stout & cocoa powder

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2011, 06:36 PM   #1
siobhan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Chocolate stout & cocoa powder

I'm starting my holiday brew, trying for a moderately intense and not too sweet chocolate stout. The base recipe is a partial mash oatmeal stout, and I'm racking onto a small package of cacao nibs (maybe 2 oz? Not the big package). Lactose would be 4 oz.

I want to include some cocoa powder in my boil, but don't know how much or when to add it. I've seen everything from 2oz to a half pound and up. It's a 5 or 5.5 gallon batch - the recipe hasn't been finalized yet. And does dutch-process matter, or just Hershey's regular?

Any help will be appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2011, 10:05 PM   #2
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 426 Times on 326 Posts
Likes Given: 660

I made a Double Chocolate Oatmeal stout last year that was awesome. Course some a-hole broke into my house last year and stole my laptop so the recipe is kaput. But, I bought the regular can of Hershey's cocoa powder. Half in the mash and half 5 minutes before flame out. Was very, very good. If you want the chocolate to come out in the beer, I would suggest adding a couple of vanilla beans to the secondary. You won't taste the vanilla but, it helps bring the chocolate flavor out.

Old 10-11-2011, 09:06 PM   #3
trojandux
Recipes 

Recently I made an amazing double choclate stout and I used 2oz of a Belgium Cocoa powder @5min. It has a great cocoa after taste and a nice smooth subtle choclate taste while drinking. Supper Delicious.

Quick Reply