Chocolate Raspberry Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpass00

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has brewed the Chocolate Raspberry Stout from Austin Home Brew? If so what did you think?

I'm racking this tomorrow and pitching a porter onto the Wyeast 1028 cake.

This beer is one of my all time favorite homebrews I have tried. It's a sweet stout with chocolate and a light raspberry flavor which fades with age.

Brewed three batches just last winter/spring. May have brewed more than that. I can't remember. I had so many friends trying it and saying they loved it and wanting me to brew them a batch. But like Saccharomyces said the raspberry flavor does fade with age so it's better younger IMO.

Did you guys brew it from extract of allgrain ? I Am thinking of a partial mash. This will be only the second batch I have done. So I dont know if I should stick with the extract or move up to a partial mash?

We made this kit via partial mash and it turned out fantastic. We let it age for a couple months and it's probably one of my hubby's favorite beers. This stout is on my shopping list to buy again and buying any kit twice has only happened a couple times in the four or five years we've been brewing.

edit: next time it will be an all grain kit since that's what we do now and I'm sure that one will be fantastic too.

This actually was the first batch i tried doing partial mash and it came out great! PM is easy and not much more involved than extract.

Mine is the all-grain version and it's on tap now. I can't keep out of that keg. :)

Next time I brew this up I plan to sub 2 extra ounces of chocolate malt for the black patent the recipe calls for since I'm not a huge fan of black patent...

Back