The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > chocolate milk stout with no coffee taste?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2012, 07:46 AM   #1
sathrovarr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Default chocolate milk stout with no coffee taste?

Hi,
Is there a way to brew a milk stout that will taste like chocolate but won't have that bitter taste of coffee?
I don't dig coffee in my beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 07:51 AM   #2
rcsoccer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

If you cold steep the dark grains, I don't think you'll get as much coffee flavor/aroma. A friend of mine did this and just added the liquid at the end of the boil and it produces a smoother roastiness that doesn't overpower the beer.

Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza.
- Dave Barry

Old 11-28-2012, 07:05 PM   #3
techbrewie
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts

the problem with not adding coffee is that you dont have much to balance out the sweetness of the chocolate. unless you plan to use a bitter dark chocolate or chocolate malt only. I'd suggest try using a light roast or try using a different bittering agent. you should post your recipe and i could be a little more specific.

Brew long and Prosper... May the wort be with you... Yippeekayay master brewers... You had me at free beer.

Quick Reply