The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Chocolate Milk Stout for Christmas?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2012, 02:41 PM   #11
hodge
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

OP, how is your progress? I'm interested in brewing a Bourbon Milk Stout in the next few weeks. Did you end up going with the recipe that you posted?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2012, 03:04 PM   #12
FenwayWest
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnagel
Funny I should find this. I just got my hands on 3 five gallon used whiskey barrels. We wanted to a do a milk stout in it. I only do extract and Northern Brewer only has chocolate milk stout kits, which any other time, I'd love. But I was thinking the chocolate might interfere with the whiskey flavor so I was planning on leaving it out and just using it in another batch. But now I'm not sure. I might keep the 4 oz cocoa nibs in there, which is pretty low.

Here are the barrels. Very excited to get a beer in there.
Morebeer has a sweet stout extract kit that would work nicely for you.

Old 12-24-2012, 03:49 PM   #13
dcp27
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodge View Post
OP, how is your progress? I'm interested in brewing a Bourbon Milk Stout in the next few weeks. Did you end up going with the recipe that you posted?
It's coming along really well actually. SWMBO is a big fan so thats always a win. The chocolate is up front but doesnt take over the beer, so about where i wanted. it kinda gets a nice mocha-like taste from the light roast. the vanilla, oak & bourbon give some light background subtleties to it, but they are a touch more subdued than i'd like them to be. I'm not sure someone else would know there was bourbon/oak in it, but it gives a lil complexity. I added the vanilla/oak/bourbon mix when I kegged it about 3 weeks ago tho so I'm hoping some of the flavor will develop more, otherwise I may add a lil more. i'll be sharing some with family tn & tmr so i'll get some more opinions on it

The only changes I made were splitting the 1lb chocolate 50/50 with pale chocolate and adding 0.5lb of brown sugar. I also soaked the dark grains overnight in cold water & added at vorlauf, but I then got a stuck sparge so that was probably moot. Final #s were 1.072 OG, 1.024 FG. I would like it a lil drier, but its actually not that sweet where it is and gives a nice full body.

Quick Reply