Chocolate/Hazelnut Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

upperNY01brewer

Reaction score
Here's my next brew for this up coming sunday.

Heres the recipe :

10.0 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (2.0 SRM) Grain 57.89 %
2.50 lb Wheat Malt, UK (2.0 SRM) Grain 26.32 %
0.50 lb Black (Patent) Malt (471.0 SRM) Grain 5.26 %
0.50 lb Carafa II (412.0 SRM) Grain 5.26 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 90L (90.0 SRM) Grain 5.26 %
1.00 oz Northern Brewer [7.10 %] (30 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 22.2 IBU
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.90 %] (30 min) Hops 7.5 IBU
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.90 %] (5 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkg Edinburgh Ale (White Labs #WLP028)

Roasted hazelnuts added @ 15 mins
1 lb bakers chocolate added to secondary

I like it. I would add the chocolate at flameout. Also i think coco powder works better as well.

I like it. I would add the chocolate at flameout. Also i think coco powder works better as well.

Ive had good luck with using the bakers chocolate in secondary, but perhaps I will try the cocoa powder and see how that comes out. Im always willing to change things up.:ban:

How much/many hazelnuts are you using?

That is a good question, as Ive never used them before and I would really like to have a nice flavor of hazelnut to come out. So with that said I probably will startout with about 8oz and take a sample to see where its at and then work from there.:mug:

I just tried putting toasted hazelnuts in a brown ale, not getting much flavor, I think the oils just ended up on top of the beer. I'd suggest using extract in secondary.

I just tried putting toasted hazelnuts in a brown ale, not getting much flavor, I think the oils just ended up on top of the beer. I'd suggest using extract in secondary.

Good to know. I was thinking also a Hazelnut liquor like Franjellica(spelling?)or a cheaper spinoff of that brand.

If you have hazelnuts and vodka, you can make your own extract. Chop up nuts, throw in oven until they smell hazelnutty, throw in a jar with vodka for a couple weeks. If you don't have time to make your own, it shouldn't be tough to find at a grocery store.

I wouldn't use hazelnut liquor, all you want to do is add hazelnut flavor/aroma, a liquor contains much more than that.

Latest posts

Back