Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Chocolate Espresso Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2008, 07:54 PM   #51
Skunkyhops
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatawnt2b
... My only complaint is the bitterness that I think can be compensated with by using a bit of lactose in the secondary.

-J
Im gonna brew this up in about a week or so and i was curious if anybody has tried adding a little bit of lactose to the beer as mentioned above? I was thinking about adding some to it but Im not sure how much to add or when to add it?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2008, 08:17 PM   #52
miatawnt2b
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunkyhops
Im gonna brew this up in about a week or so and i was curious if anybody has tried adding a little bit of lactose to the beer as mentioned above? I was thinking about adding some to it but Im not sure how much to add or when to add it?
I had no problems adding it after it was kegged and carbonated. boil lactose in a cup or so of water, and dump it right in. This way you can taste it first and see what you like.
-J

Old 01-16-2008, 08:20 PM   #53
Skunkyhops
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks a lot for the quik reply I cant wait to get this one brewin!

Old 01-27-2008, 01:59 AM   #54
Vagrant
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I just moved this over to a secondary after two weeks. I added 4 cups of brewed espresso. I took a sample to check on the hydrometer (and to taste) and this sample was amazing. I cant wait until this thing has been properly aged. I may have to brew another batch of it as my next batch. Even the wort sample I took for my SG tasted great. Tuck and his bro did a great job on this recipe. I was a little skeptical at first with how all the added sugars were going to pan out. I still have to wait until I get my hands on the finished product, but I can already get a feel of what I may need to add or subtract for the next go around.

If you're a fan of stouts, do yourself a favor and brew this epic ale.

I'll post once I bottle and it's been conditioned on how it turned out. I have high hopes.

Old 03-03-2008, 04:39 PM   #55
Aclay
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have come up with a similar recipe before I saw this. The difference being I'm using 8 oz of semi-sweet bakers and 6 cups of espresso from a brazilian brand. I thought about priming this with molasses, but I like the idea of adding it to the boil. Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 03-04-2008, 02:38 AM   #56
TUCK

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aclay
I have come up with a similar recipe before I saw this. The difference being I'm using 8 oz of semi-sweet bakers and 6 cups of espresso from a brazilian brand. I thought about priming this with molasses, but I like the idea of adding it to the boil. Thanks for the suggestion.
Hope it turns out great for you. I never thought about priming with molasses, thanks for the input

Old 03-04-2008, 02:42 AM   #57
eschatz

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 17 Posts

that sounds really tasty!

What's tappening? :D

Old 03-04-2008, 01:46 PM   #58
miatawnt2b
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just brewed this for the third time Sunday. 5 gal goes so quickly. This will be my first time using chinook's though. I usually used nugget hops as chinooks are sometimes hard to find here.
-J

Old 03-07-2008, 08:31 PM   #59
oms1981
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

this sounds fantastic, it is going to be my next brew for sure. I have a few questions about the recipe if anyone could help me out.

1. What type of molasses did you use? I have seen different grades (light, dark, blackstrap) and I read that lighter varieties are more fermentable while darker ones impart a stronger flavor.

2. How much DME for bottle conditioning? I usually use dextrose but I saw that DME is recommended for this. I think "joy of homebrewing" suggests 1 1/4 cups for 5 gallons. Would this give appropriate carbonation?

3. Any final say on cold brewed coffee vs actual espresso shots? I am a barista and I work on a $20,000 bar everyday so I have unlimited access to the best shots you can get basically. My main concern is the oil messing with head retention since I am not kegging yet. I know cold brew has much less oil.

Thanks for any help everyone

Old 03-07-2008, 08:41 PM   #60
miatawnt2b
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I use the cheapest molasses and brown sugar I can find at the grocery store. As for bottle conditioning, I have no idea. Kegging rules. I chose cold brew espresso beans myself because it was easier for me, and I had read it has the added benefit of less oil which is better for head retention, as well as less bitterness.

All I can say is that mine is AWESOME, and the head is thick and brown.

-J

Quick Reply