Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Chocolate Espresso Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2007, 09:19 PM   #41
james3v1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I modified this recipe to make a mocha stout, with cocoa and coffee, and a little higher gravity and light on the hops.

We drank the first few and it is wonderful and thick and lovely. I lightened the hops because my wife doesn't like hoppy beer--and she liked it, making the brew a complete success.

3 gallons distilled water with gypsum
Mash:
1 pound Muntons Roasted non-malted Black Barley (spilled a little—maybe 1-2 oz?)
1 # Dingeman’s Belgian Chocolate Malt
1 # Crystal Malt
At boil add:
6.6 # coopers dark Malt Extract
8 oz. cocoa powder (about ½ Hershey’s Dark)
Boil 70 minutes
1 oz Amarillo Hop Alpha 7.0% at 35 minutes
Add two more gallons distilled water after chilling
OG 1.053
2 pkg Safbrew T-58
Priming after fermentation with molasses instead of corn sugar. Final gravity 1.013.

I haven't taken the time to do more than estimate the ABV. We're really enjoying this one--I'll certainly make it again soon. Sorry I don't have all the software to look at the recipe that some of you have.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2007, 10:23 PM   #42
z987k

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

looks good, only 1 suggestion. There's no reason to use 2 packages of dry yeast, save yourself $1.50 or so and use the 2nd on the next brew.
% is 5.2

Old 12-10-2007, 11:23 PM   #43
Joker

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 4

http://www.mtbrewing.com/calculator-abv-abw/

Old 12-12-2007, 05:15 AM   #44
TUCK

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by james3v1
I modified this recipe to make a mocha stout, with cocoa and coffee, and a little higher gravity and light on the hops.

We drank the first few and it is wonderful and thick and lovely. I lightened the hops because my wife doesn't like hoppy beer--and she liked it, making the brew a complete success.

3 gallons distilled water with gypsum
Mash:
1 pound Muntons Roasted non-malted Black Barley (spilled a little—maybe 1-2 oz?)
1 # Dingeman’s Belgian Chocolate Malt
1 # Crystal Malt
At boil add:
6.6 # coopers dark Malt Extract
8 oz. cocoa powder (about ½ Hershey’s Dark)
Boil 70 minutes
1 oz Amarillo Hop Alpha 7.0% at 35 minutes
Add two more gallons distilled water after chilling
OG 1.053
2 pkg Safbrew T-58
Priming after fermentation with molasses instead of corn sugar. Final gravity 1.013.

I haven't taken the time to do more than estimate the ABV. We're really enjoying this one--I'll certainly make it again soon. Sorry I don't have all the software to look at the recipe that some of you have.

NICE

Looks good bro, wish I could get my wife to drink a stout, however she does like Lefthand's Milk stout (5.2 abv) which is very light.

Old 12-13-2007, 12:15 AM   #45
miatawnt2b
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

tapped it tonight. WOW! Tasty! Nice and thick/creamy. Beautiful color head. Great flavor, but a bit bitter, even with my 4 cups of coldbrew espresso. My only complaint is the bitterness that I think can be compensated with by using a bit of lactose in the secondary.

Cudos to Tuck! Did you come up with this recipe on your own? Great Job, and thank you for sharing!

-J

Old 12-13-2007, 06:54 PM   #46
TUCK

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatawnt2b
tapped it tonight. WOW! Tasty! Nice and thick/creamy. Beautiful color head. Great flavor, but a bit bitter, even with my 4 cups of coldbrew espresso. My only complaint is the bitterness that I think can be compensated with by using a bit of lactose in the secondary.

Cudos to Tuck! Did you come up with this recipe on your own? Great Job, and thank you for sharing!

-J
Thank you very much.

Yes, one cold night last year my brother and I decided on this recipe as our annual brew for the holidays.

I am glad you like it, I think maybe with age the bitterness should mellow out either way I say modify it and make it your own creation.

HappyBrewin

Old 12-13-2007, 08:14 PM   #47
El_Borracho
Recipes 

Uhm.. I want this in my fridge, now!

5 gallon [US, liquid] = 640 ounce [US, liquid]

Old 01-13-2008, 02:10 AM   #48
Vagrant
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm brewing this tomorrow and had a few questions.

1) When would I add the brown sugar/molasses? Sounds like a lot of stuff to add when bottling, if that's the case. 1lb of brown sugar and 1lb of molasses alone sounds like a lot to add, but this is a pretty high SG anyway.

2) What temperature should I rest at?

3) Do I mash all the grains in the MLT, or do I steep some of them? Is there any disadvantage to mashing with all grains in the MLT?

I was inspired by Southern Tier Brewery's Chok-lat ( http://www.ratebeer.com/Ratings/Beer...p?BeerID=81812 ) which I tried in their taproom while I was on vacation in PA. It is an amazing substance. Not a session beer by any means. I came across this recipe and it seems over the top enough for me to want to try =)

Anyone have any thoughts?

Old 01-14-2008, 01:00 PM   #49
miatawnt2b
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobes341
I'm brewing this tomorrow and had a few questions.

1) When would I add the brown sugar/molasses? Sounds like a lot of stuff to add when bottling, if that's the case. 1lb of brown sugar and 1lb of molasses alone sounds like a lot to add, but this is a pretty high SG anyway.

2) What temperature should I rest at?

3) Do I mash all the grains in the MLT, or do I steep some of them? Is there any disadvantage to mashing with all grains in the MLT?

I was inspired by Southern Tier Brewery's Chok-lat ( http://www.ratebeer.com/Ratings/Beer...p?BeerID=81812 ) which I tried in their taproom while I was on vacation in PA. It is an amazing substance. Not a session beer by any means. I came across this recipe and it seems over the top enough for me to want to try =)

Anyone have any thoughts?
Add the sugars at the very end of the boil along with the cocoa. Here's a tip for the cocoa... at the beginning of the boil pull out about 2 cups of wort and emulsify the cocoa powder in that before adding at the end of the boil. This will keep the cocoa from clumping since the cocoa won't dissolve anyhow. You will mash all the grain together. I think mine was 152* for 1 hour, and has plenty of body.

This is seriously probably one of the best stouts I've ever had.

-J

Old 01-14-2008, 06:18 PM   #50
TUCK

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatawnt2b
Add the sugars at the very end of the boil along with the cocoa. Here's a tip for the cocoa... at the beginning of the boil pull out about 2 cups of wort and emulsify the cocoa powder in that before adding at the end of the boil. This will keep the cocoa from clumping since the cocoa won't dissolve anyhow. You will mash all the grain together. I think mine was 152* for 1 hour, and has plenty of body.

This is seriously probably one of the best stouts I've ever had.
-J
I think a tear just dropped, thanks a lot man I am so glad you liked it.

By the way Nobes I would prime with DME, but I say try a few with molasses and see what the difference is

Quick Reply