Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Chocolate Espresso Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2012, 08:33 PM   #161
TUCK
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellcaminio View Post
I think that this sounds like the perfect batch to start the new year!! We are gonna start this brew tmr. I may be back to ask some questions, but will keep you posted. i am really excited about this one. Thanks for the recipe, Tuck!!
Sure thing man, hope all goes well!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 09:18 PM   #162
scottconnor
Recipes 

I brewed this beer on 11/4/12, and it's the best beer I have brewed yet (out of 12 batches). This will be the first beer I repeat brew. Here are my notes:

11/4: Brew day, 1.094OG (after topping up w/ some water, cold weather boiled off more than usual)
12/2: Rack to secondary, 1.022 Gravity. Added 32oz brewed Starbucks espresso.
12/21: Kegged, 1.022 FG (9.45%ABV)

I gave this a taste after about a week and a half, and it was VERY bitter, all coffee taste and nothing else. However, after the 3rd week, it was fantastic. I love big coffee beers, and this is it. Great chocolate aroma, and big coffee taste. Two fellow home brewers agree.

Also, the recipe must be idiot proof, because I mistakenly put cocoa MIX in my boil instead of cocoa POWDER. Plus I boiled off more than I expected. Still came out great, despite my best efforts to sabotage. Already dreading when this keg kicks. Thanks!

Old 01-21-2013, 09:24 PM   #163
TUCK

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottconnor View Post
I brewed this beer on 11/4/12, and it's the best beer I have brewed yet (out of 12 batches). This will be the first beer I repeat brew. Here are my notes:

11/4: Brew day, 1.094OG (after topping up w/ some water, cold weather boiled off more than usual)
12/2: Rack to secondary, 1.022 Gravity. Added 32oz brewed Starbucks espresso.
12/21: Kegged, 1.022 FG (9.45%ABV)

I gave this a taste after about a week and a half, and it was VERY bitter, all coffee taste and nothing else. However, after the 3rd week, it was fantastic. I love big coffee beers, and this is it. Great chocolate aroma, and big coffee taste. Two fellow home brewers agree.

Also, the recipe must be idiot proof, because I mistakenly put cocoa MIX in my boil instead of cocoa POWDER. Plus I boiled off more than I expected. Still came out great, despite my best efforts to sabotage. Already dreading when this keg kicks. Thanks!
VERY GOOD to hear!

Glad it came out great and I hope it last you through the winter :P

Old 02-01-2013, 02:12 AM   #164
xeoxe
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Due to my almost endless supply on one gallon fermentors (reagent water containters from work), I only brewed one gallon of this. I'm thinking I'll regret only doing one gallon . Its almost ready for the coffee, then another 3 weeks or so to carb up....I can't wait.

Old 02-28-2013, 12:22 AM   #165
Trev4956
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

What category have you guys been entering this beer? I followed Tucks recipe except I didn't add the espresso. Turned out to be a VERY tasty Chocolate Stout. I recently entered it in category 23 specialty beer. I scored a 32 combined. Both judges seemed to think it should be in 13F. But, I figure since the IBUs on mine were around 25 (13F-RIS Calls for 50 IBUs) and with the additions of brown sugar, molasses, and the cocoa that it should be in the specialty category.

I have two more competitions coming up and was hoping you guys could help me figure this out THanks in advance.

Old 02-28-2013, 01:04 AM   #166
BassBeer
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trev4956 View Post
What category have you guys been entering this beer? I followed Tucks recipe except I didn't add the espresso. Turned out to be a VERY tasty Chocolate Stout. I recently entered it in category 23 specialty beer. I scored a 32 combined. Both judges seemed to think it should be in 13F. But, I figure since the IBUs on mine were around 25 (13F-RIS Calls for 50 IBUs) and with the additions of brown sugar, molasses, and the cocoa that it should be in the specialty category.

I have two more competitions coming up and was hoping you guys could help me figure this out THanks in advance.

I entered my extract version in category 21A - Spice/Herb/Vegetable beer, so I said it was a "Russian Imperial Stout with coffee and cocoa added". I scored well for my 3rd brew, a 28, but both judges said they would've scored it higher if it had been entered as a regular stout instead of a RIS. Mine came in at a healthy 8.4% abv. It was delicious but not quite as chewy or extreme as a Russian Imperial. What was you OG? And your %abv?

Old 03-01-2013, 04:27 AM   #167
Trev4956
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBeer View Post
I entered my extract version in category 21A - Spice/Herb/Vegetable beer, so I said it was a "Russian Imperial Stout with coffee and cocoa added". I scored well for my 3rd brew, a 28, but both judges said they would've scored it higher if it had been entered as a regular stout instead of a RIS. Mine came in at a healthy 8.4% abv. It was delicious but not quite as chewy or extreme as a Russian Imperial. What was you OG? And your %abv?
I brewed 10 gallons all grain, O.G. was 1.100 F.G. 1.021 ~11 abv, efficiency was higher than expected, but both judges at the competition really suggested that I put this beer in the 13F RIS category. Although, they both commented about how the 1 lb of cocoa powder I added was too much and that it lingered on their pallette too long. I am dropping off entrys tomorrow for the Suwannee, GA beer fest HB comp and the owner happens to be a certified beer judge. I bottled two extra for his opinion and will post his suggestions tomorrow night.

Old 03-06-2013, 04:10 AM   #168
Trev4956
Recipes 

I talked with my friend who is a certified beer judge and he recommended that I enter it in 13F RIS. He told me since I added the molasses and brown sugar to the beginning of the 60 min boil that not much flavor was left from them and that the cocoa powder really stood out as a result and thus it was really just a chocolate RIS.

Quote:
I brewed 10 gallons all grain, O.G. was 1.100 F.G. 1.021 ~11 abv, efficiency was higher than expected, but both judges at the competition really suggested that I put this beer in the 13F RIS category. Although, they both commented about how the 1 lb of cocoa powder I added was too much and that it lingered on their pallette too long. I am dropping off entrys tomorrow for the Suwannee, GA beer fest HB comp and the owner happens to be a certified beer judge. I bottled two extra for his opinion and will post his suggestions tomorrow night.

Old 03-07-2013, 03:34 AM   #169
TUCK

Recipes 

Default Update

Quote:
I talked with my friend who is a certified beer judge and he recommended that I enter it in 13F RIS. He told me since I added the molasses and brown sugar to the beginning of the 60 min boil that not much flavor was left from them and that the cocoa powder really stood out as a result and thus it was really just a chocolate RIS.
Hey Guys, I greatly appreciate your interest in this recipe. With in the thread there is a post indicating a correction to the recipe since it was initially posted incorrectly, in regards to the addition times for the cocoa, brown sugar and molasses. When I brew it I always add these at the end and should have updated this a long time ago. I greatly apologize that I didn't, especially since you guys are entering into competitions. I hope I am not flamed too bad, but now that I was finally able to renew my membership I am able to update/edit the initial recipe post.

Once again, my apologies.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:33 PM   #170
Trev4956
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCK View Post
Hey Guys, I greatly appreciate your interest in this recipe. With in the thread there is a post indicating a correction to the recipe since it was initially posted incorrectly, in regards to the addition times for the cocoa, brown sugar and molasses. When I brew it I always add these at the end and should have updated this a long time ago. I greatly apologize that I didn't, especially since you guys are entering into competitions. I hope I am not flamed too bad, but now that I was finally able to renew my membership I am able to update/edit the initial recipe post.

Once again, my apologies.
Tuck,
No worries in fact I am mainly replying again to THANK YOU for the awesome recipe. I got my score sheets back from Suwannee Beer Fest homebrew comp. and I won two medals with this batch. I got 3rd place in the RIS category with a 33.5 combined, and 2nd Place in the Speciality beer category with a 40 combined. Even with my modified sugar additions this beer is AWESOME.

Quick Reply