The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Chocolate Espresso Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2012, 09:59 PM   #151
BassBeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Just bought the ingredients to do the extract version of this brew on Saturday. Can't wait!

A couple questions... did those of you who ferment in a 6.5 gallon bucket need to use a blow-off tube?

Also, do I need to pitch 2 vials of yeast, or could I do 1 vial with a starter?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2012, 01:06 AM   #152
miatawnt2b
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBeer View Post
Just bought the ingredients to do the extract version of this brew on Saturday. Can't wait!

A couple questions... did those of you who ferment in a 6.5 gallon bucket need to use a blow-off tube?

Thanks!
I would actually use dry yeast for this... S-05... pitch 1 or 2 packages dry. Also I would use a few drops of infant gas drops. This beer has been known to blow the airlock out of my fermenter. Thick black wort blown all over a laundry room will test a marriage.

-J

Old 09-20-2012, 01:10 AM   #153
BassBeer
Recipes 

Thanks,

I'm curious, why is dry yeast preferable for this brew?

Do the infant gas drops simply cause it to release less CO2? Does that not affect fermentation?

Sorry for so many questions

Old 09-20-2012, 01:38 AM   #154
miatawnt2b
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Thanks,

I'm curious, why is dry yeast preferable for this brew?

Do the infant gas drops simply cause it to release less CO2? Does that not affect fermentation?

Sorry for so many questions
Not really preferred, just easier IMO. You don't need the flavor profile from a liquid yeast for this beer... you're probably using a generic ale yeast anyhow.
You also get more live cells from pitching a dry packet than a vial without a starter. So I'd go S-05 and be done with it.

As for the drops, they keep krausen from forming and blowing off the airlock or worse yet the lid if you're using a bucket. 3-5 drops should do... you can't taste the difference with/without either.

-J

Old 09-20-2012, 01:54 AM   #155
BassBeer
Recipes 

I see, thanks. I would otherwise be using White Labs California Ale Yeast, but since they're essentially the same I'll consider the dry.

I like the gas drops idea too, but I'll probably go for a simple blow-off tube connected to my airlock for this one.

I appreciate the tips!

Old 09-23-2012, 01:15 PM   #156
TUCK

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:

Thanks!
I use 2 vials of WYeast 1056 American Ale, or make a starter from one.

Each to his/her own.......but it is a violent fermentation no matter what kind of yeast you use.

ENJOY!

Old 09-23-2012, 04:02 PM   #157
BassBeer
Recipes 

Thanks Tuck. I brewed it up yesterday, pitched 2 rehydrated packs of Safale 05 into 69F wort, then cooled to 62F. Fermentation showed signs in 6 hours and is now bubbling steadily!

I went with the blow off tube after reading about fermenter lids exploding off, volcanoing wort everywhere. Not worth the risk when the solution is so simple.

One question: how much ground espresso, and how much water, would you use when cold brewing? I want the coffee to be fairly present but balanced.

Thanks for the recipe, it was a lot of fun to brew, and I'm sure will be a lot of fun to drink!

Old 09-24-2012, 02:40 PM   #158
TUCK

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Thanks Tuck. I brewed it up yesterday, pitched 2 rehydrated packs of Safale 05 into 69F wort, then cooled to 62F. Fermentation showed signs in 6 hours and is now bubbling steadily!

I went with the blow off tube after reading about fermenter lids exploding off, volcanoing wort everywhere. Not worth the risk when the solution is so simple.

One question: how much ground espresso, and how much water, would you use when cold brewing? I want the coffee to be fairly present but balanced.

Thanks for the recipe, it was a lot of fun to brew, and I'm sure will be a lot of fun to drink!
In regards to the cold brew question; I am not really sure.
I will explain what I did in detail and maybe that will help as far as quantity/ratio.

I used an espresso maker at home and kept going until I achieved 4 cups. It took forever and I was filling two little espresso cups at a time. Once the cups were full I would pour into a measuring cup, empty the coffee grounds and hit the button for another round. After I was done, I put the 4 cups of brewed espresso in the freezer and chilled it down quickly, then added accordingly.

Now if you are doing a cold brew, then I could only imagine you would need to use more grounds than I did since I used a machine that forced the hot water under pressure. I am curious to know how it turns out for you though so please share.

Pleasure to drink you say.......you bet man. I wish I could post this video of my brother after he "over indulged". Let's just say he fell asleep in the chair sitting up as he swayed left and right- LOL

Enjoy man, glad your brew went well and I hope the results are AWESOME

Old 10-28-2012, 06:21 AM   #159
Recipes 

Brewed this one up tonight. Added probably 12oz of chocolate during the last 5 minutes of the boil though. Will probably add in some lactose for the secondary and I throw in whatever espresso or coffee stuff in there. 2nd all grain brew for me, so I'm super excited. Thanks a lot for the recipe Tuck.

Old 12-31-2012, 05:43 PM   #160
hellcaminio
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I think that this sounds like the perfect batch to start the new year!! We are gonna start this brew tmr. I may be back to ask some questions, but will keep you posted. i am really excited about this one. Thanks for the recipe, Tuck!!

Quick Reply