Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Chocolate Espresso Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2011, 05:30 PM   #141
TimothyChurch
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I ordered this to brew for a party after thanksgiving without thinking about the conditioning. It sounded so good my brain turned off for a minute. The party is a little over 6 weeks away. Obviously it will be done fermenting but it will not have mellowed much. Any opinions on taste at that point or on a way to shorten the aging process?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2011, 12:40 AM   #142
TUCK

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl View Post
Just kegged my batch today. I agree...really good and tastes like dark chocolate. I was trying to describe the taste and saw someone's post and said "that's it". Good winter beer and should age well. Thanks again for the recipe Tuck. One question though...I think I might've used too much chocolate...I used an entire container of Hershey's powder for 5 gallons...is that too much?
Some might say "can it ever be too much chocolate?" ... but I did the same the first go round but in later batches I add half that much since a lot of the chocolate flavors are derived from the dark grains in the recipe.

Old 12-18-2011, 04:54 AM   #143
kccvxd
Recipes 

Our beer is at about day 6 of primary fermentation and is tasting fairly bitter. I think this is due to the cocoa powder. I'm considering adding lactose to sweeten it up a bit, but I'm wondering if I should wait until after I add the espresso to see if that mellows out the bitterness a bit. So, what should I do? add lactose now or wait to see what the espresso does?

XO,
kccvxd's SWMBO

Old 12-18-2011, 08:56 AM   #144
lgilmore
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 147

Just tried my first week bottle of my mocha java stout and so far, mine tastes like iced coffee with a bit of a buzz. Gonna be pretty good (fingers crossed)

I added a entire can of hersey's coco powder last 10 minutes of the boil. added 10 cups brewed coffee after ferment (left all in primary). Sat 3 weeks. At bottling, after tasting final reading, tasted and it was a little to bitter for my pallet. So I added 8 oz Lactos along with priming sugars for bottling.

The first bottle so far is very strong coffee, light coco but very drinkable as the lactos didn't over sweeten the beer. It just took away the bitter finish. I am hoping the coco flavor asserts itself over the next few weeks, but even if it doesn't, it's a pretty tasty java brew.

Old 12-18-2011, 04:17 PM   #145
kccvxd
Recipes 

Perfect! I think that's exactly what I need. Thanks!

Old 12-22-2011, 06:11 PM   #146
uniTTy
Recipes 

recipe looks great

i have a couple noob questions. for the extract recipe, the 0.75 lbs American Chocolate Malt, .75 lbs Roasted Barley, .75 lbs Crystal Malt 10°L are steeping grains correct? anyone add oats to this?

what temp is everyone fermenting at? ~68+?

is this a full boil (5 gal)?

thanks

Old 12-23-2011, 03:23 PM   #147
animalales
Recipes 

Sounds delicious! I am planning a flavoured stout of some sort and this looks like a great recipe. Thanks for posting

Old 12-24-2011, 09:23 PM   #148
lgilmore
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 147

It's been about a week and the chocolate finish is becoming more noticable. It was a very popular beer at one of our family Christmas functions. The coffee drinkers in the group really liked it and took extra home.

Still probably needs a little more time for better carbonation, but pretty a good brew.

Old 02-23-2012, 02:04 AM   #149
RyeMen
Recipes 

Hey Tuck thanks for this awesome recipe, I brewed this up about 2 weeks ago. I have a question: when you say you added the molasses and brown sugar at 15 mins, does that mean 15 mins into the boil or with 15 mins left in the boil? Thanks. Also, I added the sugar and molasses with 10 mins left in the boil when I brewed this up so how do you think this will turn out?

Old 06-20-2012, 06:43 PM   #150
TUCK

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeMen View Post
Hey Tuck thanks for this awesome recipe, I brewed this up about 2 weeks ago. I have a question: when you say you added the molasses and brown sugar at 15 mins, does that mean 15 mins into the boil or with 15 mins left in the boil? Thanks. Also, I added the sugar and molasses with 10 mins left in the boil when I brewed this up so how do you think this will turn out?
Sorry for VERY late response......I do not seem to have much time anymore after my first child

I added the above with 15 minutes remaining. I think you did the right thing adding at the last ten minutes. NICE JOB

Quick Reply