New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Chocolate Espresso Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2010, 07:39 AM   #131
shay1989
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default advice needed

Hi I'm looking at the original recipe and I'm a little confused am I understanding it right that its 1oz chinook at last 20min, the .5oz of chinook at last 15min, then 1oz saaz at last 5 min?

Also what did you get best results with on the cocoa? adding it at beginning of boil or mixing with 2 cups wart and adding it at end of boil with the sugars, or adding cocoa at beginning and sugars at end? What was the best way?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2010, 09:20 PM   #132
miatawnt2b
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The later addition hops are not really all that important as you won't be able to smell them anyhow.

I would mix the coca with the wart and add it in the last 5 min or so with the sugar. You don't want to chance burning the sugar or the coca.
-J

Old 11-18-2010, 11:25 PM   #133
TUCK

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCK View Post
I agree.

Ok, yes the hop additions are incorrect in the first post (all-grain), yet they are in fact correct in the extract version that was also posted on page one.

.5 oz Chinook (13.00%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
1 oz Chinook (13.00%) - added during boil, boiled 15 min
0.50 oz Saaz (5.00%) - added during boil, boiled 5 min

But ya know I wonder if anyone has done the all grain as it is now, because I have heard a lot of good feedback and wonder if this may have been a good mistake....... hmmmmmm I think I have to try it and see

Once again, thanks for the correction man, I am banging my head against the wall about the typo
Quote:
Originally Posted by shay1989 View Post
Hi I'm looking at the original recipe and I'm a little confused am I understanding it right that its 1oz chinook at last 20min, the .5oz of chinook at last 15min, then 1oz saaz at last 5 min?
Please see above [head hanging low]

Quote:
Also what did you get best results with on the cocoa? adding it at beginning of boil or mixing with 2 cups wart and adding it at end of boil with the sugars, or adding cocoa at beginning and sugars at end? What was the best way?
I always add the cocoa from start (60min). This really makes a rich chocolate texture. To be quite honest I have never done it any other way.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:42 PM   #134
gregiscool
Recipes 

I live in south Florida and got the best cuban coffee every where, can't wait to try this for 4 cups of cuban espresso.

Old 12-11-2010, 12:14 PM   #135
ircmaxell
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well, we just bottled it last night. It spent 3 months in the secondary bulk-aging. The only thing I can say is WOW!

If you don't remember, I accidentally put 8 oz by weight instead of volume. Well, we lost about 2 gallons due to the chocolate settling out. We skipped the coffee and lactose due to the mistake. But what was left was amazing. When I say amazing, wow. It is not overly chocolaty, but there's a nice roasty quality to it. It actually tastes a lot like a dark-chocolate stout. This "mistake" will definitely happen again ;-)...

Now, with any luck it'll carb up nicely in the bottles (I am somewhat concerned of the viability of the 4 month old yeast, but we'll see what happens), and really put the finishing touch on what's come out as a fine ale...

Old 12-14-2010, 04:07 AM   #136
beesy
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Yo TUCK,

Do you know the lovibond and/or the manufacturer of the roast barley you have been using?

Thanks -B

Old 12-14-2010, 01:11 PM   #137
TUCK

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by beesy View Post
Yo TUCK,

Do you know the lovibond and/or the manufacturer of the roast barley you have been using?

Thanks -B
Weyermann Roasted Barley

Avg. Lovibond: 435
Country of origin: GR

Old 12-24-2010, 07:30 PM   #138
ircmaxell
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ok, so we cracked the first bottle today. All I can say is WOW. Not super chocolaty, but with a nice roasty and creamy taste. Actually, the best I can describe it is to say it tastes like a good piece of dark chocolate. Keep in mind, it's a bit young in the bottles (only 2 weeks, but was bulk aged for 3 months in the secondary), but it's got enough carb and mouthfeel. This is definitely going to go fast, and will be made again!

Awesome job on the base recipe (I'll post my modifications, which were slim, some point in here)...

Old 12-28-2010, 01:43 AM   #139
beesy
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

noticed in the recipes section this recipe lists

2.0 lbs Crystal Malt 10°L
1.0 lbs Roasted Barley

and in this thread it's

1 lbs Crystal Malt 10°L
2.0 lbs Roasted Barley

which one is correct TUCK??

Old 10-08-2011, 10:21 PM   #140
Daryl
Recipes 

Just kegged my batch today. I agree...really good and tastes like dark chocolate. I was trying to describe the taste and saw someone's post and said "that's it". Good winter beer and should age well. Thanks again for the recipe Tuck. One question though...I think I might've used too much chocolate...I used an entire container of Hershey's powder for 5 gallons...is that too much?

Quick Reply