The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > All-Grain - Chocolate Covered Beavr Nutz

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2012, 02:01 AM   #21
Matterpro
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

My Brew partner and I brewed up the all-grain version of this last weekend. Hit 1.069 on OG for 6 gallons in the fermenter, 74% efficiency. Stoked about that.

It's chilling at 64F on s-04 yeast that's been churning like a mad-monkey since monday morning. I'm thinking about splitting it into two 3 gallon batches after a 2-3 week primary and keeping one plain and one with the peanut butter and cacao nibs.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2012, 05:53 PM   #22
SciencePig
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matterpro View Post
My Brew partner and I brewed up the all-grain version of this last weekend. Hit 1.069 on OG for 6 gallons in the fermenter, 74% efficiency. Stoked about that.

It's chilling at 64F on s-04 yeast that's been churning like a mad-monkey since monday morning. I'm thinking about splitting it into two 3 gallon batches after a 2-3 week primary and keeping one plain and one with the peanut butter and cacao nibs.
I hit 1.071 I really like the flavor that cocoa brings and the pb just finishes so nice. I am aging some in a bottle. This has become my new favorite homebrew. I'm going to make it again in a few months after my lemon head IPA or my blackberry white ale. You won't be disappointed with this tastey treat.
Bottle: Oktoberfest

Old 01-08-2013, 03:02 PM   #23
Matterpro
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SciencePig View Post
You won't be disappointed with this tastey treat.
No kidding! I got back from our christmas caravan to see the fam and it was time to cold crash the stout, so of course I did a gravity/sample first. Man, this stuff tastes really great already! I just finished cold crashing (to drop the chocolate and peanut solids since the s-04 dropped itself a LONG time ago!) and we're bottling in a couple of days. Can't wait to see what this thing turns into with a few months of hair on its chest. I think my wife is gonna like this a little too much, it's got her two favorite things, stouts and chocolate.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:31 AM   #24
caioz1jp
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Ok so i am brewing this one again this weekend. First of all this brew has been a smash hit. People still say there is no way I brewed it. Any way this time i am changing two things. First i am adding about 1.7oz of pb2 at flame out. Second, when going to secondary i want to make sure the pb and cocoa are mixed very well to really disperse the ingredients. I obviously will be carfull not to airate the beer. Im thinking about a gallon should get it all i to solution.

Old 01-11-2013, 04:43 PM   #25
Lumpyyyyy
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

What type of beer would you consider this? BJCP

Also, have you considered just using the chocolate PB2?

Old 01-11-2013, 11:39 PM   #26
caioz1jp
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

I believe it fits under american stout. I have thought about using the chocolate pb2 and may do it this weekend when i brew it.

Old 01-12-2013, 04:58 PM   #27
Matterpro
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Ya, +1 for Caioz1jp, when I plugged it into Beersmith it's closest match is American Stout.

I mixed my PB2 and cocoa powder in vodka to kill off any yeast or bacteria first and then added it to the mix. I think I won't do it that way again. It would have taken WAY too much vodka as that PB2 turns to a thick unwieldy paste and I still had to stir it in by hand.

Next time I think that I'll dissolve it in water, boil it, let it cool and then add it. If anyone has found a successful way to mix it in smoothly, I'd love to hear it!

Old 01-12-2013, 05:13 PM   #28
SciencePig
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Yea its a stout according to Midwest

Bottle: Oktoberfest

Old 01-13-2013, 03:02 AM   #29
emprbasist
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I just added it directly in powder form. It's still aging but so far it has turned out great.

Btw, I used one jar of regular pb2 and one chocolate pb2. But I added wayyy too much cocoa powder on accident, still tastes great. Not even over chocolaty

Old 01-21-2013, 01:22 AM   #30
dp_brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

finally brewed my 1 gal batch today. process was great ended up 17.8 -17.9 brix so about 1.073-1.074 OG bubbling few mins after airlock put on.

Quick Reply