HBT 2015 Big Giveaway - Enter Now

Huge Supporting Membership Discounts - 20% Off

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > The chocolate in a chocolate stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2007, 01:47 AM   #11
SenorWanderer
Beer Maniac
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

hey, thanks for all the suggestions! it IS kinda silly that i'm pretty much flying blind, and willing to take ANY suggestion, but what the hell! I'm not really sure if i like crystal in a stout, but i don't feel like it belongs. KISS, right? kenb, thanks for the tip about roast tasting more like chocolate than chocolate, that's exactly the kind of info i'm looking for. no one disputed that claim so i'll take it as gospel for now

so here's what i settled on:

10 lbs MO 72.73%
1 lbs roasted barley 7.27%
.75 lbs carapils 5.45%
.75 lbs chocolate 5.45%
.25 lbs chocolate wheat 1.82%
1 lbs lactose for the boil 7.27%

1.057 OG
33.3 SRM

now the fun part, i was thinking about keep this part a secret, but i can't help my self and i want to get some reaction, so . . .

i'm adding sweet orange peel. weird? possibly tasty? i was thinking of how much i love those orange chocolate oranges during the holidays. this is why i want only a medium chocolate without the chocolate flavor from actually adding chocolate. i figure the orange i'll be getting from the orange peel won't be that big in flavor, so if they're both there, but subtle then i might have a winner. there is also a high % chance this will suck A$$. i've also considered adding orange extract to 2ndary or at bottling, but that will probably give me major head retention issues. i'll certainly let ya know how it goes!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2007, 01:53 AM   #12
Ó Flannagáin
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts

SOunds like a tasty brew

Old 11-11-2007, 11:43 AM   #13
Grimsawyer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ó Flannagáin
SOunds like a tasty brew
I second that!!

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. They wake up in the morning and that's as good as they're going to feel all day." -Dean Martin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingBeer
...no sense hauling empty carboys around when full ones take up just as much space. :)

Old 11-11-2007, 03:05 PM   #14
kenb
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorWanderer
hey, thanks for all the suggestions! it IS kinda silly that i'm pretty much flying blind, and willing to take ANY suggestion, but what the hell! I'm not really sure if i like crystal in a stout, but i don't feel like it belongs. KISS, right? kenb, thanks for the tip about roast tasting more like chocolate than chocolate, that's exactly the kind of info i'm looking for. no one disputed that claim so i'll take it as gospel for now

so here's what i settled on:

10 lbs MO 72.73%
1 lbs roasted barley 7.27%
.75 lbs carapils 5.45%
.75 lbs chocolate 5.45%
.25 lbs chocolate wheat 1.82%
1 lbs lactose for the boil 7.27%

1.057 OG
33.3 SRM

now the fun part, i was thinking about keep this part a secret, but i can't help my self and i want to get some reaction, so . . .

i'm adding sweet orange peel. weird? possibly tasty? i was thinking of how much i love those orange chocolate oranges during the holidays. this is why i want only a medium chocolate without the chocolate flavor from actually adding chocolate. i figure the orange i'll be getting from the orange peel won't be that big in flavor, so if they're both there, but subtle then i might have a winner. there is also a high % chance this will suck A$$. i've also considered adding orange extract to 2ndary or at bottling, but that will probably give me major head retention issues. i'll certainly let ya know how it goes!
I notice you have lactose in the recipe.
That should normally be added at bottling; just boil it up with the priming sugar for a minute.... as opposed to during the boil...if adding during boil, do it at knockout....it is unfermentable though, so i fugure why add it before fermentation? also that is a LOT of lactose unless you are going for a Milk Stout.. i would cut it back to 8oz.....otherwise i think this looks pretty yummy....

Old 11-11-2007, 05:10 PM   #15
Ó Flannagáin
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts

I think it's wise to add at boiling, then if it's not enough at bottling time, add more. It is very easy to not sweeten enough as it is to sweeten too much.

Old 11-11-2007, 05:41 PM   #16
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 132 Posts

I really like the flavor of chocolate wheat, more bitter-sweet than barley.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 11-11-2007, 08:01 PM   #17
SenorWanderer
Beer Maniac
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

the lactose- totally unfermentable? beer smith adds 5 OG points for a pound of it, but only bumps the FG 2 points. what am i missing? i'll certainly cut it to a half pound, but i think i'll add it at knockout.

Old 11-13-2007, 11:19 AM   #18
CBBaron

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorWanderer
the lactose- totally unfermentable? beer smith adds 5 OG points for a pound of it, but only bumps the FG 2 points. what am i missing? i'll certainly cut it to a half pound, but i think i'll add it at knockout.
From what I have seen the beer recipe tools use the OG and yeast attenuation to determine FG and don't consider the recipe.
I do wonder, is lactose totally unfermentable? Given that some people add it at bottling time I would guess it is unfermentable or nearly so.

Craig

Old 11-13-2007, 11:32 AM   #19
CBBaron

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Also be aware that all dark grains are not created equal. Chocolate malt ranges from about 300 SRM to 450+SRM and roasted barley can be found over that same range. The contribution to flavor will be significantly different depending on the color. There is even a pale chocolate malt at 200SRM.

Craig

Old 11-13-2007, 01:13 PM   #20
Ryan_PA
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

You're not going to get any real chocolate flavor from the chocolate malt. There is a roastiness that will be associated with the cocoa flavor, but chocolate malt has no chocolate in it. It only is a reference to color. If you are looking to get a real chocolate flavor (albeit subtle or pronounced) you should look to pure coca powder, real cocoa beans (if you can find them) in the mash, or a chocolate extract.

Your recipe seems to be a great stout, but I would not anticipate a chocolate flavor to really be easily identified.

Quick Reply