Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Chocolate/Cherry Stout Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2008, 12:46 PM   #1
RLinNH
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default Chocolate/Cherry Stout Question

I brewed a Chocolate Stout last weekend. Added the Unsweetened Chocolate to the Boil with 5 minutes left. It has now been fermenting along nicely at 66-64 degrees. Anywho, the book that I got it from (Brewing Classic Styles) says that when Fermentation SLOWS DOWN, to then rack on top of your Cherry Purree. This will then kick off a secondary fermentation. Sound right? My beer has been in the primary now for 9 days. I think she's ready. The hard part for me though is that I am the guy that leaves his beers in the Primary for 3 weeks to try and help take care of any nasty flaors. Bearing in mind that the longer this beer sits in the primary, the more chocloty flavors she picks up. I don't want a Hershey Bar on my hands.So yeah, it's hard for me to rack into a secondary only 9 days into this. I guess what I'm looking for is a kick in the ass towards the right direction.

On DeckWitches Brew WDIPA
Primary Helles Wings MailBock,
Secondary nope
Bottled SSBC Club Brew 2013
Kegged Lil' Sparky's Nut Brown Ale, Witches Brew IPA
On Tap Witches Brew IPA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2008, 12:58 PM   #2
bashe
Recipes 

I brewed a choc cherry stout a couple weeks ago too that I am getting ready to rack to secondary on top of some cherry's. I am thinking about adding more chocolate to the seconday when at the time of racking. First I am going to pull a sample though.

Coming Up: Westvleteren 12 clone, Oktoberfast, SWMBO Slayer
Projects: Fermentation Chamber
Beer Blog

Old 11-11-2008, 03:29 PM   #3
ColoradoXJ13
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

you can certainly leave the beer in primary for 3 weeks, rack onto the fruit, but try to actually rack some of the yeast with it.

I just did a sour brown with an english strain, it fermented out quickly and flocculated much more than I wanted, but when I racked (after ~2 weeks) onto fruit (5 gal onto cherries, 5 gal onto raspberries) just took some of the yeast cake with it and it seems to be fermenting out fine.

Old 11-11-2008, 03:55 PM   #4
RLinNH
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoXJ13 View Post
you can certainly leave the beer in primary for 3 weeks, rack onto the fruit, but try to actually rack some of the yeast with it.

I just did a sour brown with an english strain, it fermented out quickly and flocculated much more than I wanted, but when I racked (after ~2 weeks) onto fruit (5 gal onto cherries, 5 gal onto raspberries) just took some of the yeast cake with it and it seems to be fermenting out fine.
Thaty's what I was looking for Colorado. Thanks for the nudge in the direction i was hoping I could go.

On DeckWitches Brew WDIPA
Primary Helles Wings MailBock,
Secondary nope
Bottled SSBC Club Brew 2013
Kegged Lil' Sparky's Nut Brown Ale, Witches Brew IPA
On Tap Witches Brew IPA

Quick Reply