Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Chocolate/Cherry Stout Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2008, 11:46 AM   #1
RLinNH
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Chocolate/Cherry Stout Question

I brewed a Chocolate Stout last weekend. Added the Unsweetened Chocolate to the Boil with 5 minutes left. It has now been fermenting along nicely at 66-64 degrees. Anywho, the book that I got it from (Brewing Classic Styles) says that when Fermentation SLOWS DOWN, to then rack on top of your Cherry Purree. This will then kick off a secondary fermentation. Sound right? My beer has been in the primary now for 9 days. I think she's ready. The hard part for me though is that I am the guy that leaves his beers in the Primary for 3 weeks to try and help take care of any nasty flaors. Bearing in mind that the longer this beer sits in the primary, the more chocloty flavors she picks up. I don't want a Hershey Bar on my hands.So yeah, it's hard for me to rack into a secondary only 9 days into this. I guess what I'm looking for is a kick in the ass towards the right direction.

On DeckAnother Mild
Primary Camper's Delight 9
Secondary nope
Bottled SSBC Club Brew 2013
Kegged Camper's Delight 8
On Tap MaiBock

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2008, 11:58 AM   #2
bashe
Recipes 

I brewed a choc cherry stout a couple weeks ago too that I am getting ready to rack to secondary on top of some cherry's. I am thinking about adding more chocolate to the seconday when at the time of racking. First I am going to pull a sample though.

Coming Up: Westvleteren 12 clone, Oktoberfast, SWMBO Slayer
Projects: Fermentation Chamber
Beer Blog

Old 11-11-2008, 02:29 PM   #3
ColoradoXJ13

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 6 Posts

you can certainly leave the beer in primary for 3 weeks, rack onto the fruit, but try to actually rack some of the yeast with it.

I just did a sour brown with an english strain, it fermented out quickly and flocculated much more than I wanted, but when I racked (after ~2 weeks) onto fruit (5 gal onto cherries, 5 gal onto raspberries) just took some of the yeast cake with it and it seems to be fermenting out fine.

Old 11-11-2008, 02:55 PM   #4
RLinNH
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoXJ13 View Post
you can certainly leave the beer in primary for 3 weeks, rack onto the fruit, but try to actually rack some of the yeast with it.

I just did a sour brown with an english strain, it fermented out quickly and flocculated much more than I wanted, but when I racked (after ~2 weeks) onto fruit (5 gal onto cherries, 5 gal onto raspberries) just took some of the yeast cake with it and it seems to be fermenting out fine.
Thaty's what I was looking for Colorado. Thanks for the nudge in the direction i was hoping I could go.

On DeckAnother Mild
Primary Camper's Delight 9
Secondary nope
Bottled SSBC Club Brew 2013
Kegged Camper's Delight 8
On Tap MaiBock

Quick Reply